This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

In this day and age, social media dictates the way we view beauty standards. Usually this comes from ads that tell us what products we need to be deemed beautiful;  it can come from celebrities promoting certain products to look more like them. Although it’s cliche, many people say money can’t buy you happiness. Although, most people wish that they were able to buy their beauty. However, beauty cannot be bought or obtained. 

As someone who has struggled with body image their entire life, and still today, I’ve learned a few things that make me feel more comfortable in my skin. 

1. Find Your Style 

Finding your style and what looks best on you can be so liberating and make you feel more confident. Now, although revamping your wardrobe does involve spending money, it doesn’t have to be expensive. First, start by creating a Pinterest board of all the styles you like, and pick out staple or common pieces amongst the photos. You can purchase these at retail chains or find them at your local thrift store. 

1. Cut Out The Social Media 

Limiting yourself to how much social media you view will help you realize that you don’t need to compare yourself to others. Now, that doesn’t mean that you have to cut out social media altogether. Following influencers with similar body types or styles that you love can be beneficial, especially if they are positive influences. Seeing someone look great in your same body type can inspire you to be more confident in yours. 

1. Accept That It’s Not Going To Be Easy

Being comfortable with your body is a difficult thing to do. Even the people we admire have days where they don’t feel comfortable in their skin. Understanding that the body you were given is the only one you’ve got is the reality, so why not use it to the fullest? You are beautiful despite what anyone says, and your uniqueness is what makes you perfect. 

As someone who grew up in a predominantly white school, being dark skin, curvy and tall, I know what it feels like to not fit in or think you’re ugly because you don’t look like everyone else. After starting college, I realized that I didn’t feel beautiful before because I wasn’t seeing people who looked like me. Eventually, I realized that beauty is everywhere, including when I look in the mirror. Surround yourself with people who always want you to feel your best and make sure to encourage you to love yourself.  

Kaila Lightburn

St. John's '24

Hello my name is Kaila, I’m a Junior at St. John’s University. I am a Public Relations major with a minor in fashion studies. I am also an ambassador, a mentor and apart of the campus magazine and some of my hobbies include watching movies, hanging with friends and reading!