How Netflix’s New Season of Sex Education Breaks Down Barriers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

The hit Netflix show, Sex Education recently came out with their third season on September 17th, and I am absolutely in love. This new season implements so many important topics that aren’t typically talked about in entertainment or the media. The topics in the show range from being comfortable with your sexuality, amazing dark skin representation, new characters who add to the plot, mental health, and more. I was constantly learning while watching.

As a young black woman, it is not common to see dark skin characters on TV shows who are actually involved with the plot and are main characters. We are met with recurring dark skin characters, Eric Effiong, Jackson Marchetti, and Vivienne Odusayna, but we also are introduced to another character: Cal Bowman. Cal is a non-binary character who is from America, but has recently moved to Moordale. Cal’s involvement in the show depicts the struggles non-binary people face, struggles that many people never think about. What school uniform would they wear? How harmful is chest binding, and how does one do it safely? How do people navigate dating as a non-binary person? Cal faces these obstacles throughout this season, and it gives watchers deeper insight into what life may be like for a non-binary person.

Another topic that the show includes is the topic of sex in the disabled community. Watchers learn more about the recurring character, Isaac Goodwin, Maeve’s neighbor/love interest, and a wheelchair user. In this season, we see an intimate scene shared between Isaac and Maeve, where they discuss ways that they can make each other feel pleasure sexually. This subject and scenes like this are very rarely represented in the media.

Mental health importance and the importance of therapy are also key themes this season. Jean Millburn (Otis’ mother) is known as a sex therapist. However, throughout the show, she helps two characters start to overcome battles they have been facing. Aimee, Maeve’s best friend, was sexually assaulted last season and is still dealing with the trauma her assault caused her. Michael Groff (Adam’s dad, former headmaster at Moordale), was always known as a grumpy man that no one liked. He battles feelings of worthlessness, and as if he has no passion in life. Jean has therapy sessions with these two characters throughout this season, and it’s obvious that the therapy is definitely helping them. As someone who just enrolled in therapy, it brought tears to my eyes when the characters were finally getting the help they needed, and how it enforced the principle that therapy should be normalized, not stigmatized. 

If anyone asks you, “Should I start binging Sex Education?”, say yes! There are so many important things to learn while watching this hit show that aren’t only in this new season, but throughout the whole show. I have been stalking Netflix’s instagram account waiting for the release date of the 4th season. Go watch it now!

Amaiya Sancho

St. John's '25

Hi! My name is Amaiya Sancho, I'm from Columbia, Maryland, and I am the Vice President/Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus St. John’s. I am a Communications major, with three minors in Social Justice, Italian, and International Studies. Writing has always been a passion of mine, so I'm more than excited to be a part of HerCampus at St. John's!