How A24 is “X”-ing out their Competition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

From their Emmy-winning show Euphoria to the Oscar-winning film Moonlight, independent production company A24 has captivated audiences since its conception in 2012. With A24’s consistent hits and pending releases, they are well on their way to racking up more Academy Awards with future projects.

The company was founded in 2012 by Daniel Katz, David Fenkel and John Hodges, “three friends who wanted to create a company that would push film culture in a positive direction.” After watching any of the company’s films, it is obvious that the founders certainly have pushed film culture in a completely new direction.

A24 has exceeded its expectations by beating out huge entertainment companies like Warner Bros., Universal Pictures and Lionsgate. One of the most notable (and cringe-worthy) Oscar moments was when the Moonlight mix-up occurred. A24 distributed the 2016 film Moonlight, and it was nominated for (and won) a multitude of titles at the 2017 Academy Awards. Not only is the film known for its gut-wrenching story and its aesthetics, but it’s also notorious for defeating the 2016 film, La La Land in the Best Picture category. This Oscar win was just a glimpse into the unforeseen future success of the company.

Whenever A24 announces a new project, they are sure to gain a large audience due to the star power of the actors they cast. Their films are made up of “niche” actors like Paul Mescal (most known for his role in Hulu’s original series Normal People), Mia Goth (most known for her roles in both A24 films X and Pearl), and Amandla Stenberg (most known for their role in The Hunger Games and A24’s Bodies Bodies Bodies). While this independent film company hires an array of lesser-known actors, they still cast A-list celebrities and award-winning performers. Some of their upcoming films star actors such as Jennifer Lawrence, Michelle Williams, Tilda Swinton, Brendan Fraser and more. Their past films have been graced with actors like Denzel Washington, Adam Sandler, Florence Pugh, Timothée Chalamet and Willem Dafoe, just to name a few.

With A24’s ability to have such a wide range of actors that appeal to various audiences, they are guaranteed to attract more watchers when their films are released.

A24 has also been on their “A”- game when it comes to project releases. When going on social media, it is hard to avoid the constant trailers coming out from the company. It seems there is a new trailer for an upcoming film or TV show every week. A24 has distributed films like Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (2022), which is a comedy/mockumentary, while also distributing films that are vastly different like Hereditary (2018), which is listed as a thriller/horror piece. There are numerous genres and subgenres for audiences to indulge in, and that’s why this company will continue to perform so well. 

References

’20, C. G. (2019, October 1). A brief history of A24. The Woodward Post. Retrieved October 7, 2022, from https://www.thewoodwardpost.com/october-2019/2019/9/a-brief-history-of-a24

Puente, Maria, et al. “We Were There: How the Worst Flub in Oscar History Went Down.” USA Today, Gannett Satellite Information Network, 28 Feb. 2018, https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2018/02/28/we-were-there-how-worst-flub-oscar-history-went-down/377305002/.

Amaiya Sancho

St. John's '25

Hi! My name is Amaiya Sancho, I'm from Columbia, Maryland, and I am the Vice President/Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus St. John’s. I am a Communications major, with three minors in Social Justice, Italian, and International Studies. Writing has always been a passion of mine, so I'm more than excited to be a part of HerCampus at St. John's!