BHM: Black Americans, It’s Okay To Take A Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Since the early 16th century, Black people have been the backbone of America. From working day and night as slaves, harvesting America’s most profitable produce, and masterminding and building America’s most groundbreaking inventions, the labor of Black Americans shaped this nation into what is today. With over 400 years having passed since the nation’s horrific start, America’s societal systems assures that this hasn’t changed. 

Yet, after centuries of shedding blood, sweat and tears in the land of the “free”, Black Americans still haven’t taken the time to truly rest. Thus, passing down the generational curse of being pressured to overwork for white supremacy. Luckily, as freedom, justice and equality arise, so does the time to finally take a well-deserved break

Black Americans, it’s okay to take a break from the hustle and bustle of working within a white supremacist society.

You don’t need to feel pressured to overwork yourself into an early grave. Your worth isn’t tied to how hard you can work for your oppressors. Your worth is tied to how well you take care of yourself. So, yes, take your well-deserved break. Whether that looks like calling out of work for a day, booking a week-long vacation, or becoming an entrepreneur.

Continue reading for four reasons it’s okay to take a break.

1. Intentional Relaxation is Productive

No matter how resilient you are, your mind, body and soul still need time to relax, recover, and restore. Just as going to work is productive to your bank account, intentionally giving yourself the proper time to relax is productive to your well-being. So, get productive and schedule some time to relax.

2. Breaks Prevent Burnout

It’s common to think that overworking is bound to produce an overabundance of accomplishments. While that may be true, overworking is also bound to result in burnout. Giving yourself intentional breaks for relaxation can help to prevent such an awful medical condition of the sort. Each time you take a break, you can potentially save yourself a trip to the doctors.

3. That Job Will Still Replace You 

Harsh Truth: After overworking for an underpaying job, that job will still replace you. After putting your own health at risk to meet every requirement asked of you, that job will still replace you. After missing quality time with your loved ones, that job will still replace you. And as you take your last tiresome breath, that job will indeed still replace you. You wouldn’t bend over backwards without a break in a relationship that would so easily replace you, so why do it for a job that would? Give yourself some irreplaceable love by taking the break you need.

4. You Owe it to Yourself

At the end of the day, no one is going to look out for your well-being like you are. You owe it to yourself to give yourself a healthy life. Start by taking a break from the workload holding you down. 

The reality is, if you’re not apart of the richest in the world, you will have to work. Rent is due, bills need to be paid, and babies need to be feed. But, while you’re calculating all the reasons you need to work, make sure you factor in a least one reason to take a break. Your future self and generations to come will thank you for it

Yaminah Smith

St. John's '22

Yaminah is a St. John’s University graduate with a B.S. in Journalism. She loves writing everything from brief motivational quotes to detailed narrations. With each word, she hopes to inspire and guide people all over the world towards improvement.