Career

Searching for Your Next Job/Internship 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Job/internship hunting can be a daunting task for many college students, especially since it may be one of their first steps transitioning to adult life. To make this daunting process simpler and more efficient, here are some tips to help you out. 

The Career Center is your Best Friend 

This is a resource that can help you with all parts of the job/internship process from filling out the application up until you obtain your offer letter. Even before you start applying to internships or jobs, you can consult your career advisor on where to start if you’re feeling overwhelmed and lost. They can help you identify your career goals and work on a strategic plan to ensure you reach your goals. Additionally, they can direct you towards some opportunities you can potentially apply to. Your career advisor is there to guide you and make sure you maximize your success. 

Aside from your advisor, the career center hosts many workshops that can help to hone in on some of your professional skills. They also host networking events, which allow you to interact with a variety of employers, aiding you in the long run. 

Use Handshake and/or another platform! 

One of the first things I did as a freshman was create a profile on Handshake. This is a platform that allows students to create their own profiles for potential employers to view. Many companies and organizations utilize this forum to post job and internship positions that are available. Sometimes recruiters may message you to inform you of potential opportunities available in their company, which is exactly what happened to me when I was searching for my first job.

Some students may not have the ability to access Handshake, depending on where they attend. LinkedIn also posts job and internship opportunities and allows you to curate your own profile as well. An additional perk of LinkedIn is that you can connect with people you meet in conferences and over time as your connections grow, you’re also expanding your network. Her Campus’ very own Generation Hired, also posts job and internship opportunities while offering many additional services, such as office hours with individuals from different career pathways. So, feel free to pick and choose what you’re most comfortable with or try them all out and see which ones you like the best.    

Start Your Search Early

Whether you’re looking for a summer internship or trying to land a job immediately after graduation, I would say it’s never too early to start searching. There is no guarantee that you will get an offer from the 1 position you applied for. Therefore, in order to accumulate multiple options, apply to many companies that have positions you are interested in. In today’s competitive job market, you’d rather be prepared than be sorry later on.   

There’s one last thing I want to say before you head off to make use of these tips. Stay positive! Just because you don’t hear back from 1 employer does not mean it is the end. Finding a job or intern position can be a grueling and competitive process. Keep on searching and applying until you land an offer. You got this! 

Sharupa Azmal

St. John's '24

Sharupa Azmal is a junior who is majoring in Pharmacy at St. John’s University. Besides writing for Her Campus, she finds herself journaling or blogging frequently. Her other pastimes include reading books and webtoons, watching movies (yes Bollywood films are included), and dragging her friends on little trips throughout New York City.