books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Last Minute Advice for Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

It’s time to shutdown Netflix and get out of bed. Finals week is here. Here’s some advice to help you get through it.

Don’t panic.

We know, this tip is easier said than done. You have essays due, multiple finals in one day, and most likely general adult responsibilities to keep up with like work and laundry. But it will be okay. You can do this. Take a deep breath and know that you’re more than capable of getting through finals week! You’ve been in these classes all semester so it’s likely that you know more than you think.

Get organized.

Before you can get anything done, you need to know exactly what it is you need to do. For each of your finals, create a study guide—this way you’ll be able to clearly see what topics you need to focus on. If your finals are cumulative, go over past exams because your professor is likely to pull old questions for the final. If it helps you, make study tools like flashcards or memorization games. Bonus tip: it’s tempting to use websites like Quizlit to make flashcards, but the act of handwriting flashcards will actually help the information stick better in your brain!

Find your study spot.

Cramming for finals demands an intense level of focus. You’ll need to be somewhere quiet with little to no distractions. Whether it’s the library, a coffee shop, or a quiet place at home, make sure your study spot sparks concentration and motivation.

Sleep.

Sleep? During finals week? Yes. It’s tempting to stay up until the early hours of the morning to study, but remember that your brain functions best when you’re well rested. Just because you can drink five cups of coffee and stay up all night doesn’t mean you necessarily should.

Don’t be so hard on yourself.

So maybe you have known about that ten page final paper for the entire semester, but now is not the time (nor do you have the time) to beat yourself up over it. Instead, focus your energy on accomplishing what needs to be accomplished. Before you know it, finals week will be over and you’ll be heading back home for a much needed break.

Good luck Hilltoppers!

Taylor Duane

St Edward's