This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

As the oldest child in my family, I sometimes used to wish I had an older brother or sister who learned the ropes first, especially when it came to university. No matter what background you come from, first year (and second year… and third year…) can leave you a bit shell-shocked. New friends, new schedule, new town, and the sudden panic at questions like, “So you’re majoring in BLANK… What do you wanna do with that?” 

There are a lot of great things about uni and a multitude of things that maybe aren’t so great, but they make you grow anyway. Trust me: it’s all normal. The ups and downs, the ebb and flow. The mood of uni is very much “22” by Taylor Swift: “happy, free, confused, and lonely at the same time — it’s miserable and magical!” So magical, in fact, that I returned to uni this year for a Master’s degree!

To help curb the confused and lonely part, here is my advice as your postgraduate older sis for how to make the best of your uni experience no matter what year you are.

1 | Friends change… and that’s okay!

Some students luck out and make their best friends on day one of first year halls. From first year to second year, my friend group completely changed, and that was a good thing! In uni, you sometimes float around to different groups as you figure out your talents, interests, and beliefs. Your friends determine the quality and direction of your life, and it’s okay if where you’re going isn’t quite where they’re going. Sometimes it takes a while before you find “your people.” If you’re stuck in a friend rut, don’t worry. You’ll find them!

2 | Give your brain a break

Gen Z is pretty good about self-care, but in the chaos of deadlines and assignments, sometimes it’s hard to remember that taking a break is actually really healthy. I’ve found the Pomodoro Technique to be a productive and restful way to structure study hours. Never underestimate the power a 5-minute walk, workout, snack break, or dance party can have against stress and lethargy! Don’t forget that your emotional support water bottle deserves to be used for hydration breaks too.

3 | “Don’t procrastinate,” said the procrastinator.

This one comes from lifelong experience. I spent all four years in uni procrastinating papers. …Like an embarrassing amount of procrastination. In my fourth year, I pulled multiple all-nighters to research and write the majority of my 20-page papers. I’m attempting to make up for my undergrad insanity now by spending much more time researching on the front end of my assignments, and lo and behold, my stress is so much lower! I stand by the fact that deadlines kick my brain into overdrive, but alleviating some of the workload ahead of time is never a bad idea.

4 | Get involved in something ✨different✨

Everybody wants to be involved in something, to be part of something. We’re all figuring out who we are and what we enjoy while we do it. By this point in the year, I hope that even the first years have started to find their places at uni. My advice to you is a little different. Look for opportunities outside of your comfort zone that will stretch you or give you an experience you wouldn’t otherwise get. I took a horseback riding course my third year of uni just because I’d always wanted to learn how to ride a horse, and it remains one of my favorite classes to this day. Try what you’ve always wanted to try! You’ll end up with a great anecdote and maybe even a new passion.

5 | Be a Yes Man

This one is for my fellow introverts. Say yes to parties and friendships, to road trips and spontaneous adventures. You will never get to live these incredible four years again — make the most of them! Studies are always important (and you should put in the work), but what you’ll remember most from uni are the memories you’ve made. When I think of uni, I don’t think about the nights I spent studying or watching Netflix. I think of my musical theatre performances and their fast food afterparties, the raucous American college football games, my study abroad adventures, the conversations after midnight, and the deep friendships I cultivated. There is always a place for you. Sometimes you just have to look for the opportunities.

6 | It’s okay if you don’t know what or who you want to be when you grow up

The older I get, the more I realise that even the real adults are still figuring out who they want to be. I’ve achieved my dream of being a working writer, but the dream to be a published novelist is still a long way off. Your major might (and probably will) change, but that’s normal. It’s okay to take these years in uni to figure out who you are and what you want to spend your life doing. Some bonus advice? Your degree does not mean you’re nailed down into a single field for the rest of your life. I didn’t use my English degree for work until two years after graduation, but my passion around it fueled the direction of my life. Learn about what you love, work hard, and the rest will follow.

There’s so much more advice I could give, but the most important words are these: don’t take this time in your life for granted. Actively take the time to explore and chase opportunities. You never know where a simple “yes” could take you. You’re doing amazing! This postgrad older sis is beyond proud of you.

Julia is a postgraduate at the University of St Andrews studying Medieval English. Originally from Atlanta, Georgia, USA, she worked for several years as a freelance writer/editor and in live-event production as a singer and producer before returning to academia. In her free time, Julia is usually binging the latest K-drama, experimenting with a new recipe, or spending far too much time in H&M, always with a gigantic mug of coffee or tea in hand. Alongside her professional writing, Julia writes fiction and hopes to one day pursue publication as a novelist.