This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

With all the time spent indoors lately, feeling down or stir crazy is to be expected from time to time. And, while going for a walk or watching a movie is a good go-to, another mood booster that I’ve been turning to is a podcast. Podcasts can be so diverse, ranging from informative talks on current events to hilarious narrative storytelling. They are also free, easy to listen to anywhere, and you can pause or start them whenever you want! Below are three fascinating podcasts that I have been listening to recently, and recommend for whenever you’re in need of a pick-me-up.

1. Stuff You Should Know

Stuff you Should Know is one of my favorite podcasts right now because each episode discusses a fascinating new topic in a captivating way. This podcast was created over 10 years ago, and has more than 1,000 episodes! The hosts have fantastic banter that make the 50 minute episodes seem short, and when you’re really in a rush, they have “Short Stuff” episodes that are only 15 minutes each. From topics like the use of the insanity defense in criminal cases to a 43 minute conversation about beavers, or even a guide on how Mexican wrestling works, the episodes discuss topics that you might not normally think to learn about, but would be interested to. The comedic banter of this podcast makes the topics even more entertaining to listen to, and when listening, it feels like you are almost in the room with them. If you’re in need of a distraction, this podcast is definitely the way to go. 

2. The Good News Podcast

The Good News Podcast is an uplifting listen for whenever you need a quick perspective change and mood boost. A new episode comes out three times a week and they usually range from three to 10 minutes. Episodes tell fun and positive stories to brighten your day and remind you of all the good happening in the world. I especially love this podcast because each episode is only a few minutes long, so you can listen to them when in need of a quick distraction, especially since some podcasts have the tendency to drag on and feel like a chore to get through. From discussing store delivery-dogs in Colombia to the environmental benefits of planting chickpeas, each episode presents a new positive fact or interesting story.

3. Daily Boost

Daily Boost is another short podcast, with nine to 13 minute episodes that will certainly improve your day. Each episode presents some form of motivation for your day by providing important tips, ranging from talks on how to stay in control of your happiness to tricks for staying productive while working at home. There are five episodes a week, so you don’t have to wait long for a new episode to come out! The podcast is also currently on season 14, so there is also no shortage of past episodes to go through. My current favorite episodes are the ones on replacing your to-do-list and how to maintain self-discipline when bored. As university students, it can definitely feel difficult to stay on top of all our assignments and commitments, but this podcast provides helpful tips on how to make all of these tasks that little bit easier.

I hope some of these suggestions help you find a podcast to brighten tour day.  Happy listening! 

Molly Finn

St. Andrews '23

Hi everyone! My name is Molly, and I'm a second year at the University of St Andrews studying International Relations and Art History. I grew up in Southern California and am a total matcha and fashion addict. I'm a big advocate for focusing on self-care and mental health, and staying up to date on current events.
The University of St Andrews chapter of Her Campus!