Bea’s Flourless Chocolate Treats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Flourless chocolate cake/brownies:

According to new statistics, 20% of Britons are currently following a gluten-free diet, and the GF market is worth an estimated £238 million annually. This is a staggering amount and, on reflection, made me (as a baker) feel an overwhelming sense of sadness for those who are daily missing out on delicious baked goods. Fear not! There are some amazing gluten-free recipes out there, and I promise to devote some of my articles to them.

This recipe can be used either as brownies, or as a cake to have with ice cream as pudding. Double the mixture to make a thicker cake – useful for birthdays– but be aware that if using dark chocolate, the result is very rich.

Ingredients:

·         120g chocolate

·         120g butter

·         150g caster sugar

·         40g cocoa powder

·         3 eggs

·         1 tsp vanilla extract

1.   Preheat the oven to 170°C, and grease a small tin (round for a pudding, oblong for brownies).

2.   Melt the chocolate and butter together in a small bowl set above a pan of simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn’t actually touch the water). Cool slightly once melted.

3.   Stir the sugar, cocoa powder, eggs and vanilla extract into the melted chocolate. Beat until well combined and a smooth consistency.

4.   Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for about 30 mins, until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.

5.   Serve warm or cold, at any time in the day!

Bea Bennett

St. Andrews

Freya Liddell

St. Andrews

3rd Year History student at St Andrews