Mental Health and Online Classes
Mental Health and Online Classes
Original illustration by Jordan Davies
Wellness > Mental Health

Mental Health Amid COVID-19 and Online Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

For the last 8 months, many people have been working to juggle the stress and pressure of different aspects of our daily lives. COVID-19 has drastically changed how we live and will have lasting effects, specifically on how education is provided for students around the world. The transition of in-person classes being moved to online spaces has introduced multifaceted challenges to our education in addition to mental health and self-care.

At the beginning of the pandemic, students around the nation and here on campus speculated the timeline of COVID-19 and online classes. Many thought spring quarter would be the single and notorious online quarter, however the harsh reality set in when SPU announced the continuation of online courses for Fall 2020. It was a harsh reality to face when most of us realized we would be doing online classes for a year or more.

For a lot of people, going to school is a form of escape, and provides a refuge from other areas of life. Whether it’s from a toxic home life, anxiety/depression, or just a way to get out of the house and get some fresh air walking to class, we rely on this time for an escape but, now are cooped up sitting behind computer screens. 

Whether you have roommates, live with family, or live alone, most people are not meant to sit inside all day, isolated at a desk. It is ever so important that we remember to take breaks from studying to practice self care and not be too hard on ourselves. 

Some ways to take mental breaks from school include going for walks, driving to get a coffee or food, watching an episode of your favorite netflix show, making a snack, taking a nap, etc. Even if it’s only for thirty minutes, you deserve to take a break and do something for yourself. Listen to your body and your mind, reminding yourself how amazing and strong you are and that online classes are temporary.

Oftentimes, it is easy to let time slip away and forget to do these things, but at the end of the day what matters most is you. It is okay to feel hopeless and sad during these unprecedented times. There is no denying that we are balancing so much during the strangest months of our lifetime. Let yourself go through these feelings and emotions, but remember to give yourself credit at the end of the day and give yourself some grace.

Third year Visual Communications major at Seattle Pacific University