6 Ways to Have a Great Valentine’s Day (No Matter What Your Relationship Status)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

I’ll admit it. I hate Valentine’s Day. It seems that every year Valentine’s Day comes, disappoints, and promptly leaves me feeling sad and single. I’m not the only one either. According to brandwatch, 29% of the American population admits to hating Cupid’s favorite holiday.** In order to make this year better than the last, I decided to give Valentine’s Day a chance, and I urge you to do the same. While the day might not end up perfect, here’s six ways to make it suck a little less!

1. Be confident in your relationship status.

No one likes to be single on a day dedicated to love. Moping about your lack of a love life is a surefire way to have a terrible Valentine’s Day. As hard as it may be, accept your relationship status for what it is. Your day will automatically be better.

2. Treatyoself!

Whether it means sleeping in an extra 20 minutes, indulging on that box of chocolates, or treating yourself to a new pair of shoes, spend a little extra on yourself this Valentine’s Day. You deserve it!

3. Set Realistic Expectations.

If you’re single, don’t expect Mr. Right to come out of nowhere. If you’ve been dating for two months, don’t expect a ring. Setting realistic expectations keeps you from getting disappointed. Let’s face it, life isn’t a romcom.

4. But don’t settle

Don’t let yourself spend Valentine’s Day with anyone other than Mr. Right. Settling for anything less will leave you feeling unfulfilled. Make yourself a priority and recognize that you deserve a great day, not a mediocre one, even if that means spending Valentine’s Day alone.

5. Surround yourself with your favorite people.

Valentine’s Day is meant to be spent with the people you love. Even if you’re spending the day with your significant other, let your friends and family know that you’re thinking of them. Single? Remind your other single friends that you’re all in this together and spend the day with eachother.

6. Make someone else’s Valentine’s Day great

Know a friend who plans to spend the night crying over her ex? Spend the night with her, The Notebook, and some Ben and Jerry’s.

*All images from www.pinterest.com

** Statistics sourced from www.brandwatch.com/2014/02/valentines-day-us/

Sarah Maberry is a fashion writer based in NYC. She is graduating in 2019 with a dual degree in Fashion Business Management from FIT and Apparel Design and Merchandising from Seattle Pacific University. Sarah started her writing career at the SPU Chapter of Her Campus and has since worked with various publications for event coverage and style writing. When she isn't busy writing she loves running, watching That 70's Show, and finding the best $1 pizza in Manhattan.
Hello world! I am Samantha, and I'm a junior Journalism major and Fashion Merchandising and Apparel Design minor at Seattle Pacific University. I was born and raised in Honolulu, Hawaii, and lived there for 16 years before moving to the PNW. I competed in figure skating for 16 years, and now teach students of all ages how to figure skate. I am is also greatly involved in the Seattle Dance community, performing on three different dance companies including Breed Seattle, Westlake Dance Theater/Twisted Elegance, and Ante-Up Performance Group. I am currently the President of an up-and-coming club at the University, Ante-Up Dance Club, that is greatly involved in on and off campus events. I love anything and everything fitness, fashion, and dance related.