This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

This year for Lent, I wanted to challenge myself to something new. In past years, I’ve given up the usual things: chocolate, sweet tea, etc. Little things like that just to say, “Oh yeah, I’m giving up something.” This year, however, I wanted to challenge myself to really become a healthier eater. 

I have a friend who successfully completed Whole 30 a couple of months ago and she was going to do it again for Lent. I visited the Whole 30 website to really read on it and see what I would have to give up and what I COULD eat. My initial thought after reading the ‘can and cannot eat’ list: impossible.

A couple of days later, however, I really did some thinking. I went back to the website and read the program again. That time I told myself that I could do it. I text my friend and told her that I wanted to do it for Lent, but she would have to help me. Luckily, I have a great friend. 

The reasoning behind a 30 day program, like Whole 30, is to get your body to stop craving unhealthy foods and foods that could be slowing your body down. If you’re trying to lose weight, get more energy, or do a body cleanse, Whole 30 can help. 

Here’s a simple ‘what to eat, what not to eat’ list:

The biggie for me: no grains, no sugar, no dairy. Do not let that intimidate you. It is possible to be satisfied with just these foods!

I’m currently on day five. It hasn’t been easy, but if you set your mind to it, it can be done. Having someone do it with you helps a lot.

I would recommend making a grocery list and going to the store the day before so that you have everything you need. Also, I would suggest cutting back on eating out if you do that frequently. I love to eat out, but it’s a lot easier to get through Whole 30 if you make your own healthy meal at home.

The first step I advise you to take is going to http://whole30.com and read on the program. It really helps to have an answer to the question, “Why are you doing this?” They also have great guides to help you stay on track.

If simple meals like eggs in the morning and salads for lunch don’t work for you, then search the web (especially Pinterest) for recipes. They’re all over the place!

Whole 30 is a great way to challenge yourself and make you feel even better about yourself once you’ve finished.

Abby Smith

Southern Miss

Abby Smith is a Freshman Broadcast Journalism major. She is a recent graduate of Sacred Heart High School and has spent her whole life in Hattiesburg, MS, but hopes to one day move to a big city and pursue a career in Journalism. Abby loves photography, traveling, running, and the outdoors.