This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

So, vibrators: you’ve heard of them, you know of them, you might own one or maybe one of your friends told you about hers once. Regardless of your personal relationship with them, I would like to shed some light to some of the more common myths I’ve heard.

1. Vibrators are only for single women.

For whatever reason, there seems to be an idea that all vibrator owners are disgruntled divorcees, hapless lonely girls, or very not lonely girls. Get this idea out of your head; it’s simply not true. Female orgasms can be an elusive one, and vibrators have been around since our entire gender was diagnosed with hysteria. Women have had decades to see what they’re are all about. It’s incredibly common to own a toy, in 2013. All ages and all walks of life might have something extra in their sock drawers.

2. A vibrator is a boyfriend replacement.

I’ve heard this from various women and basically: sensations of a relationship and sensations of silicone, are drastically different. “Why would I want a vibrator when I have a boyfriend,” is like asking, “Why would I want ice cream when I have 10” subwoofers?” The two are by no means mutually exclusive. Why, I’ve even heard of people enjoying a sundae while listening to some sweet tunes, at the same time.

3. Loose Lips: no longer able to Sink Ships.

As much as I hate perpetuating the idea that sexuality completely depends on how your body feels for someone else, this seems to be a pretty huge concern among early 20-ish women, so I’ll address it. There’s no other way to say, “the vagina is a muscle,” other than saying, the vagina is a muscle. If your sex life is completely dependent on how taut your skin is, age unfortunately has the ultimate say. If you are basing your life choices off a worried idea of, “what if I’m not good for him,” then I suggest figuring out what you enjoy first. When it comes to sex, your body is only going to get older but your confident enthusiasm goes a long way.

Or, I guess, you could start doing kegels or something.

4. Owning a vibrator makes you a slut.

Slut n.

1. A person, especially a woman, considered sexually promiscuous.

2. A woman prostitute.

3. A slovenly woman; a slattern.

For the purposes of this article, toys are solo projects. Try again.

Hopefully this article has normalized the idea of toy ownership for you. If not, well at least you know more about them(NSFW) than before. Remember: just because there’s a McDonald’s right down the road, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t learn how to cook your own meals. Get educated, be safe, and have fun.
Cathy C.

Southern Miss

Hello! I am a 5th year senior, working towards a Graphic Design BFA with a minor in English. I am an ex-Greek transfer student, here to help you keep all of your sex/health/relationship facts straight.