A British Girl’s First Impressions of Life at Southern Miss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

When I first began applying to universities back home in England, I knew I wanted to spend a year abroad in the USA. That desire played a big part in where I decided to go. I can’t pinpoint why exactly it was something I wanted to do so much, I had just always known that it was. The University of Southern Mississippi has an exchange agreement with my home institution, the University of Exeter (which I can highly recommend to anybody contemplating study abroad,) which is why after two wonderful years spent studying there I am now two weeks into my third year of university – across the pond. There are a lot of similarities between the US and UK in general, but also a lot of differences. Universities are no exception. Southern Miss and Exeter, whilst sharing the same basic campus/university structure, have proved to be very different. In this article I am going to share some of my first impressions of life at Southern Miss, and what makes it so unlike my university life back home.

Friendliness

The people of England are nice enough but in general I have found citizens of the South take “nice” to a whole new level. Ignoring the behaviour of those first few weeks of first year back home in England when everyone is trying desperately to make friends, we’re a famously reserved country and people tend to stick with the people they know when it comes to more than exchanging pleasantries. Yet at Southern Miss, people I don’t know are constantly saying hello and everywhere from class to Starbucks to walking down the road (particularly when my nationality is discovered.) I am always engaged in conversation, which definitely helps me feel comfortable.  

[pagebreak]

Weather

Despite fear of conforming to the British stereotype of ‘never-shuts-up-about-the-weather’, I feel this is something that must be mentioned: it’s just so pleasant. Despite the odd rain showers, which are torrential yet brief, the weather here has been a very refreshing change from the wind and cold back home. Although I have actually been told it has been unseasonably chilly and cloudy whilst I’ve been here so far, I’ve been able to catch plenty of sun and spend days lounging by a pool. I am very much hoping this trend will continue. 

School Spirit

One of the things I’ve enjoyed incredibly since I’ve been here is the sense of pride students have for their school. Back home, as much as we love our uni,(which is evident if anyone ever tries to insult or make fun of it,) you’ll be lucky if you get a chant of ‘Oh Exeter Is Wonderful’ at one of the annual varsity matches which themselves are never attended by the majority of the school by any stretch. Having been here for such a short amount of time I have already been completely won over by the passion everyone shows for Southern Miss. I’ve almost memorised all the chants along with the accompanying dance moves. I’ve bought my first black and gold game-day outfit and I am buzzing for my first USM football match. This sense of school spirit definitely helps bring the students together and makes you feel at home very quickly.

[pagebreak]

Language

Having passed over opportunities to study abroad in countries such as France or Germany, the language barrier of English-English to American-English is a comparitively slight one. I must admit, though, it definitely still exists when it comes to Mississippi-English. I have never heard a word more often than I have heard ‘y’all’ here; it’s brilliant. A lot of slang that accidentally slips into my conversation is lost on American ears, and my pronunciation of certain words means I have to repeat them multiple times. I also have sometimes struggled to differentiate one word from another when I come across the strongest of Southern drawls, but these are all very slight problems when it comes to the fact that I simply adore the accent here and could listen to it all day.

The Campus

My campus back at Exeter is one of the most beautiful in the UK due to its gorgeous setting and recent renovations, so USM had a lot to live up to. Though completely different, Southern Miss without doubt has an equal charm. Its buildings are characterized by antebellum-style white pillars and there are plenty of wide open green spaces dotted with shady oak trees and vibrant flowers. The landmarks have become instantly recognizable from the Shoemaker Fountain to the domed Lucas Administration Building that looks equally stunning by night or day. This campus that won me over very quickly.

Having only spent two weeks at Southern Miss so far, I know that there will be so much more that I am going to experience. These have been my very first impressions of the differences between my experience here and university life back home. I cannot wait to see what else surprises me next.

Image Credits: www.usm.edu, Alice Calder

Alice Calder is in her fourth year studying Philosophy, Politics and Economics at the University of Exeter. She spent her third year studying abroad at the University of Southern Mississippi where she fell in love with all things Deep South. After interning in Washington DC for the summer Alice's love of politics grew and developed into her career ambition. Aside from politics she likes music, exploring the great outdoors, and enjoying food in every possible form.