This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Recently, “that girl” has been trending on the wellness side of social media. Although it seems like a positive approach to health and wellness, this trend has similar issues as other, more criticized wellness trends. 

Chances are, if you haven’t heard of the “that girl” trend, you still know exactly who she is.“That girl” starts her mornings with a glass of lemon water while doing her morning journaling. She somehow proceeds to hit the gym, go for a walk, and make her Insta-worthy avocado toast all before 9am. She stays productive, she reads, and she takes time to improve her mental health. At the surface, “that girl” is the epitome of someone who has her life together, but in reality she is just another unsustainable and unattainable wellness trend. 

Although this concept of combining mental health with physical health seems unique from other wellness trends, it is still just another unrealistic standard that people set for themselves for the sake of their “health”. How is making yourself stick to a strict morning routine any different from the “discipline” that people who force themselves to go on daily five mile runs have? 

Being “that girl” is great if it aligns with your lifestyle, but depicting her in the media as the standard of someone who is wealthy and put together is problematic. The reality is that not everyone has the time, money, or patience to be “that girl”. The trend does highlight healthy habits that can be attainable on their own, but there should be no pressure to adhere to this lifestyle if it doesn’t work for you. It is important to remember that all of the morning routines and photos that are being posted online are edited and filtered to perfection, which is something that cannot be done outside of the realm of social media.

Productivity is praised so much, but being productive all the time is unrealistic. It is okay to sleep in and to eat a breakfast that is unaesthetic and processed. It is okay to hate the taste of green juice and to dislike journaling. It is okay to not be productive 100% of the time for the sake of being “that girl”. You don’t have to be “that girl” to be productive or healthy, you can just stick to being you. 

Jenna Marandola

South Carolina '24

Jenna is a junior public relations major at the University of South Carolina. She is a foodie and hopes to travel anywhere and everywhere. She loves cooking and is always down for a trip to the beach.