USC Sigma Chi Disbanded, Council President Resigns

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

If you have been attentive to local news, or have read our article about it, you are probably aware that the University of South Carolina temporarily suspended the Sigma Chi chapter last week.

Yesterday evening, USC’s Sigma Chi found out they will be losing their charter completely. They have until noon this Friday, April 1st to vacate their house in Greek Village.

In related news, Fraternity Council President Brian Lewis, a Sigma Chi, had to resign from his position since the university no longer recognizes him as a fraternity member.

Before you get mad at the university, know that the descision of the chapter’s withdrawl comes from Sigma Chi’s national organization. The university is simply following suit.

We have since received more information on the incident, but questions are still unanswered. Police were called to the Sigma Chi house last Thursday, March 24, responding to a call made from inside the house. Neither brothers of the fraternity nor police have given details as to what was happening that provoked the call.

The next day, the university was informed by the Sigma Chi national office that the USC chapter had been temporarily suspended. Chief Communications Officer Wes Hickman told WLTX, “we fully support this move and will continue to work with the national organization going forward.”

Memebers of the fraternity cooperated with the investigation and stayed quiet throughout the process. No members have spoken out about the disbandment at this time.

Kristina Zagame

South Carolina

Born and raised right outside the great city of Boston. Senior at the University of South Carolina. Major: Broadcast Journalism. Minor: Sport and Entertainment Management. Interests include traveling, storytelling, and trying to squeeze in naps. Biggest pet peeve: being told, "no." Instagram & Twitter: @kzagame GO COCKS!