USC Fashion Series: Angel Prater, Aspiring Designer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

For out last installment of the USC Fashion Series, meet fourth-year visual communications student, Angel Prater. Angel is an aspiring designer with an eye for fashion, with some pretty cool experiences in the industry. Read on to learn more about breaking into the world of fashion!

Her Campus South Carolina: Dream job?

Angel Prater: Creative Director at a fashion magazine.

HCSC: How long have you been a designer?

AP: I have been designing since I took an apparel design class in 9th grade.

HCSC: What made you want to start designing?

AP: I wanted to learn the creative process of creating a garment from start to finish.

HCSC: List any fashion/retail experience that you have:

AP: I have worked in a retail setting (including Urban Outfitters and Francesca’s) for a few years. This past summer I did an internship in West Hollywood, California working in a fashion PR showroom. There I helped stylists make pulls for their clients and helped prepare for and work events including the Moschino Spring/Resort 2018 fashion show.

HCSC: What are your plans for designing in the future?

AP: In the future, I plan to design for the student designer showcase here at USC. Hopefully I can create a collection that will really surprise and dazzle everyone.

HCSC: How does USC Fashion Board benefit you?

AP: Being apart of Fashion Board, especially as president, really helped me to grow in so many ways that I didn’t think I would. I learned to stay organized, lead a group, be accountable for many different things at one time, and truly be confident with my decisions. In general, fashion board has helped me meet motivated, fashion loving people around the USC campus and I am so thankful to have joined and be going on to spend my 4th year with them.

HCSC: What are some ways you prep for fashion shows?

AP: Wow planning for fashion week..Planning for USC Fashion Week in the spring is a full time job in itself. Fashion Board starts planning for fashion week during fall of the previous year. Planning for the fashion consists of a lot of brainstorming ideas, to-do lists, color coded excel sheets and endless calls to retailers, models, venue, etc. It’s definitely a lot, but 100% worth it once you see the final product.

HCSC: Describe the designing process for your products.

AP: You always see people sketch their ideas out first and then start making them. Since I’m am awful at drawing I typically envision what I want to create and then start creating it piece by piece. I sketch out the design after I’m done so I kind of work backwards.

HCSC: How can people buy your products?

AP: After USC fashion week when people see my designs they can talk to me about creating something for them, so we shall see!

Check out Angel on Instagram: @angelprater

Reilly Tuccinard

South Carolina

Reilly Tuccinard is a University of South Carolina graduate with a love of writing, reading and learning. After spending two years as the Beauty Editor for Her Campus Media and the Editor-in-Chief of HC South Carolina, she is focusing on a career in creative strategy. Friends will tell you she's a a self-proclaimed Grey's Anatomy addict, she can't just watch a movie once and she is a firm believer in anything and everything chocolate.