Taco Tuesday: Cola Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Everybody loves #tacotuesday, and you shouldn’t have to sacrifice good Mexican food just because of your college budget. Here are seven high quality taco places – for your stomach and your wallet – in the Columbia area that will make you want to indulge every Tuesday!

1. Cantina 76

This place is so good that there are two locations! Known for its variety of tacos and the “Tres Hombres” Sampler (salsa, guacamole, and queso sampler), Cantina is the place for a quick bite to eat, dinner with your parents or way to catch up with friends. With tacos only $3 each, you can try many different flavors without cringing at the bill!   

Address: 1301 Main St and 2901 Devine St, Columbia

2. Publico Kitchen & Tap

Ah, Publico – the clean and classy joint of Five Points. This “fusion” restaurant serves tacos and more, which is perfect for when you are craving a savory, quality meal and craft beer! Tacos range from $3-5 dollars, and the variety of drinks and food is perfect for a dinner or happy hour for large groups. At Publico, start your Taco Tuesday on a Monday for $2 tacos, $2 tequila, and $4 margs, and come back on Tuesday for more delicious tacos and the $2 jello shots!

Address: 2013 Greene St, Columbia

3. Monterrey’s  Mexican Restaurant 

Whether you’re there for the jumbo margs and beer pitchers or the authentic Mexican food, Monterrey’s is always a good option. From quesadillas to burritos to tacos and more, this restaurant has so many options, even for your ~lame~ friends who only eat chicken nuggets. From lunch to happy hour to dinner, everything (including that frozen strawberry marg) is priced for the college budget. 

4. Tío’s Mexican Cafe & Cantina

Tíos is the late night hangout. End your Tuesday at Tío’s with a marg tower with your friends, whether its at 7pm, 10 pm, or midnight. Although Tío’s tacos are $4.50 each, it’s the combo of these tacos, free chips, cheap margaritas, and a good playlist that make this totally-accessible restaurant at the top of our list. 

Address: 921 Sumter St, Columbia

5. That Late Night Taco Stand in Five Points

Why not make your T-Shirt Tuesday a Taco Tuesday as well? Sometimes we all need that taco on our trek down Harden St. from Cotton Gin to Saloon, and nothing beats a cheap taco made right in front of you! We recommend the Buffalo Chicken Taco, but whatever you buy will satisfy those late night cravings.

Address: Harden St, in front of the parking lot near the fountain 

6. Sure Fire Tacos

A nicer version of Chipotle, Sure Fire Tacos is the #sophisticated taco place in the Vista. Enjoy your #tacotuesday with the special – 2 tacos and a small chips and queso for $8. Order a breakfast taco, signature taco, or classic taco and eat outside to enjoy South Carolina’s weather. Stop by and pair your tacos with some draft beer or a (few) homemade margs to make girls’ night even better!

Address: 916 Gervais St, Columbia

7. White Duck Taco Shop

Living off campus can sometimes make good meals hard to come by, but not when you live in the Mills! Located in the Mills Complex, White Duck is a quick and easy place to try many different, eclectic flavors of cheap tacos! The service is great, the flavors are interesting, and the beer is good – three factors that make this small, hidden restaurant great and loved by locals!

Address: 612 Whaley St, Columbia

Where are you eating tacos this Tuesday?

From New Jersey Student at the University of South Carolina
SC Contributor

South Carolina