This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

College is a time where you have the freedom to do whatever you want, whenever you want. You’re in charge of you and it’s so easy to lose sight of what a healthy diet looks like when you’re tempted to opt for the tastier options instead of staying healthy. Next time, use these tips to keep a balanced diet!

Russell House

As tempting as it may be to get Chick-Fil-A, it’s important to vary your diet too. It’s okay to treat yourself every once in a while, but you may want to opt for a soup or salad from Panera, a wrap from Horseshoe Deli, or even some pasta with vegetables from Tavolino. 

Honey Comb, Gibbes and the All-You-Can-Eat Buffets

Going to a buffet where you can eat as much as you want sounds awesome as a college student, right? One meal swipe and you can get whatever variety of food you want! However, this isn’t ALWAYS the best option. Make sure when you go to these places, you’re not just loading up on the cookies and ice cream. Instead, try to make the perfect healthy meal with a little added treat! At all of the buffets, you can take advantage of the salad bar and add whatever toppings you may want. There’s always some protein like grilled chicken that you can add too, in order to make your salad filling, too. This isn’t your only healthy option though! Typically, there’s always some freshly cooked vegetables to add to whatever the main protein is for that day. You don’t have to stop there though; make sure you treat yourself with a cookie or some ice cream too!

Colloquium Cafe

If you go into it the right way, this place can be like a gold mine. You can get acai bowls, flatbreads, sandwiches and wraps. If you’re craving something sweet, instead of going to Carolina Creamery for some ice cream, get a fresh fruit bowl with a variety of toppings like granola and nuts! For lunch, it’s always nice to have a variety. Here, you can get a sandwich or wrap with whatever toppings and protein that you want. Not to mention, you can make whatever flatbread your heart desires. Colloquium Cafe is the perfect option for when you want to personalize your meal!

Snacking in the Dorm

Dorm snacks can be your biggest weakness! You no longer have anyone to tell you what you should or shouldn’t eat or what snacks you can or can’t have in your room. It’s always easy to grab that bag of Doritos or Cheez-Its and eat as many as you want while you’re doing homework or after a late night. Next time you go to Target or Publix to stock up on your snacks, try to opt for some healthier options to limit the temptation. You can get anything from fruit and vegetables to trail mix and popcorn! That way, when you get back from hanging out with friends and you’re looking for a snack, you’re more likely to choose a healthier option that limits the likelihood of the dreadful “freshman-fifteen”.

Healthy eating can be fun! Be creative and don’t forget to treat yourself every now and then. Enjoy!

Sara Graybill

South Carolina '23

Sara is a psychology major at the University of South Carolina. Her favorite things include the beach, hanging out with friends, and visiting her pets back home!
Katie Graybill

South Carolina '20

Katie is a journalism student at the University of South Carolina. She loves the beach, traveling, writing, and spending time with her pets!