Soups & Stews to Save and Stave Off the Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Ok, so it is cold season again! Arguably, the best time of the year.

So, lets talk Soups and Stews that will keep you warm, full, and hardly break the bank.

Mirepoix
Shun Matsuhashi / Spoon

1) Holiday Tortellini Soup: Full Recipe found here

Here we have a hearty, homey take on a simple noodle soup with cheese tortellini with healthy greens.

2 tbsp of Olive Oil; 2 ounces of bacon Heat oil in a pan over medium heat; add bacon and cook until crisp
1 medium onion (diced); 3 garlic cloves (minced) Add onion (cook for 3-4 minutes)
1 can chicken broth (49 oz) Add garlic; Add broth; Add Italian seasoning
1 package of cheese tortellini Bring to a boil and let simmer for 5 minutes
1 can of crushed tomatoes Cook tortellini based on package instructions, drain. Add into soup mixture.
8 ounces of spinach Stir in crushed tomatoes and let simmer (5 minutes). Add spinach and cook until wilted.
2 tsp Italian seasoning; 1 cup shredded parmesan; Salt & Pepper to taste Season with salt and pepper; Add parmesan cheese as garnish.
A lovely way to impress someone over the holiday season!

2) Vegetable Lentil Soup: Full recipe here

A lovely vegetable medley packed with plant protein, fiber, and warmth to keep you going during these short, cold days.

3 cups cubed butternut squash Cook onion and garlic in pot on medium-high heat, until fragrant
1 cup chopped carrots; 1 cup chopped onion Combine lentils and broth in a pot, simmer on medium-high heat.
1 cup dried lentils Add vegetables, continue to simmer- 30 minutes
2 garlic cloves (minced); 1 tsp dried oregano; 1 tsp dried basil Allow all lentils and vegetables to properly absorb liquid and become tender.
4 cups vegetable broth Add in seasoning & spices
1 cup Italian diced tomatoes (undrained) Allow to simmer on medium-low heat
2 cups frozen green beans Serve
A lovely spin on a hearty vegetable dish packed with protein.

3) Creamy Turkey Noodle Soup: Full Recipe can be found here

1/3 cup of butter; 1/2 cup of milk; 1/2 cup half-and-half cream Heat butter in pan over medium-high heat; add in carrot and celery to saute (3-5 min)
2 medium carrots (shredded); 2 celery sticks chopped Stir in flour until blended
1 carton (32 oz) of chicken broth Add broth, cream, and milk; bring to boil and stir constantly (1-2 min)
1 1/2 cups of egg noodles Stir in noodles; reduce heat; simmer and uncovered (7-10 min) until noodles are cooked
2 cups cubed turkey Add remaining ingredients
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese Cook and stir until turkey is cooked and cheese is melted
1/3 cup all-purpose flour Remove from heat
1/4 tsp pepper; 1/4 tsp salt Serve
A classic spin on chicken noodle that encourages Thanksgiving leftovers!

4) Some Store Bought Options for the Time-Savers:

• Raos: A cutsie glass jar that is full of flavor and an impactful, nostalgic bite. Raos offers an amazing soup in several different tastes.

– Look for the Chicken & Gnocchi, Pasta & Fagioli, and the classic Chicken Noodle!

• Progresso: This is a childhood classic for many, but it undeniably gets better as the years go on. A classic metal jar of goodness, this is a great option!

-Look for the classic tomato (pairs well with a grilled cheese), chicken and wild rice, and the

italian-wedding style soups!

• Amy’s Organic Soup: A great option on the go! Each can is packed with a variety of vegetables, slightly lower sodium, and a feel good feeling in each bite!

– Look for the Lentil Vegetable, Minestrone, and the Rustic Italian Vegetable Soup!

Emmrick Mccadden-Cans
Emmrick Mccadden / Spoon

Enjoy your soups and stews of this season! Have a warm, nostalgic, and delicious winter 2023!

Anna Henderson

South Carolina '24

Anna Grace is a Junior English major and Education minor at the University of South Carolina. She is extremely passionate about literature and information access and hopes to pursue a career in teaching one day!