taylor swift jack antonoff anti
taylor swift jack antonoff anti
Republic Records

Re-enter the 1989 Era with these Chai Sugar Cookies (Taylor’s Version)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Trying to find a way to usher in 1989 (Taylor’s Version) in style? Look no further than this delicious chai sugar cookie recipe used by Taylor Swift herself. Swift posted about the cookies on her Instagram in September 2014, then posted the recipe to her Tumblr account soon after. 

Fans invited to the 1989 Secret Sessions — where Swift invited fans to her home to preview the tracks on her upcoming album —  can attest to the deliciousness of these cookies too. Swift baked a batch for her fans and served them at the event, making these an especially fitting snack for the release of 1989 (Taylor’s Version)

Whether you plan on serving them at your listening party or are just looking for a fun autumnal treat, these cookies are sure to satisfy every Swiftie’s sweet tooth.  

Cookies 

½ cup of unsalted butter (room temperature)

½ cup of vegetable oil

½ cup of powdered sugar (plus more for topping)

1 large egg

2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

2 cups of flour

½ teaspoon of baking soda

¼ teaspoon of salt

1 chai tea bag

Icing 

3 tablespoons of milk or eggnog

¼ teaspoon of cinnamon

¼ teaspoon of nutmeg 

Grease a cookie sheet and preheat your oven to 350℉. Beat the butter and vegetable oil together in a mixer at medium speed for about one minute. Next, add in the egg, vanilla, sugar, and powdered sugar. Stir in the flour, baking soda, salt, and the contents of the chai tea bag, then let the dough chill in the refrigerator for an hour. Once the dough is chilled, roll the cookie dough into balls and place them on the cookie sheet. On the cookie sheet, press the balls of dough down with the back of a spoon, so that they are almost flat. Bake for 9-14 minutes and let cool. 

To make the icing, whisk together the milk or eggnog, powdered sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a separate bowl. Spread on the cookies once they are completely cooled, and enjoy!

Mollie Naugle

South Carolina '26

Mollie is a member of Her Campus editorial team and sophomore journalism major at the University of South Carolina. She writes for the Arts and Culture section of The Daily Gamecock, mentors Honors students as part of the Honors Peer Mentor Program, and is a member of Zeta Phi Eta communications fraternity. Outside of the classroom and her extracurriculars, Mollie can be found reading, listening to music (especially Taylor Swift), spending time outside on campus, hanging out with her friends and family, cheering for her favorite Philly sports teams, and trying new things in the Columbia area.