Wellness

Little Things to Do to Start off the Year Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

The new year is a chance for a fresh beginning, an opportunity to set the tone for the months ahead. The little things can make a big difference. This article is a guide to those subtle yet impactful actions that can set you on the right path for a fulfilling and productive year. 

1. Reflect
    • Writing out your thoughts and ideas is a great way to clear stress and anxiety weighing on your shoulders. Write the thoughts that have overcrowded your mind so much that it feels like you can’t focus on anything else. Think about the highs and lows of the previous year. This will help determine what mindset you want to go into this new year with and guide the changes you wanna make. 
  2. Change to a Silk Pillowcase
    • This might seem a little strange, but try switching out your regular old pillowcase for a nice silky one. This little change has many health benefits including controlling hair frizz, reducing hair damage, and preventing facial wrinkles. 
  3. Start a Budget or Savings Challenge
    • There’s no better time to get your finances together than the new year. You could either create a budget or start a savings challenge. This might seem like a hassle, but you could be saving yourself hundreds of dollars each year! Here are some fun and easy challenge ideas:
      1. Weather Savings Challenge 
      2. 52 Week Money Challenge
      3. No Spend Challenge 
  4. Get a Haircut
    • New year, new you! It doesn’t matter if it is a big chop or small trim, a new haircut can make you feel refreshed and confident. It can boost your mood and make you feel more ready than ever to take on the new year ahead! 
  5. Declutter Your Closet
    • It’s time to say goodbye to that one shirt you never wear! Updating your wardrobe to better encapsulate your style is an amazing way to start anew. Clear some space and make room for all the lovely pieces you adore! 
  6. Do a Big Clean
    • Similar to decluttering your closet, cleaning your house can make you feel refreshed. Step into the new year with a clear slate and get rid of the useless nicknacks you’ve been holding on to! 

You don’t have to wait till a new year to finally make the changes you’ve been waiting to do! It’s always a good time to start something new or mark something off your to-do list in order to feel energized again.

Avona Le

South Carolina '25

Hi! I'm the Editor in Chief at the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter. I oversee all articles published by our chapter and even write some of my own! I'm currently a junior at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, majoring in Marketing and Finance with a concentration in Business Analytics. I want to pursue a career in marketing analytics or market research. In my free time, I love to try new restaurants, hang with friends and go on walks. I am always down to catch an amazing view of the sun or the stars!