Style > Beauty

Improve Your Skin Care Routine with These Natural Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Want clear skin that’s soft and glowing? Look for skin care and bath products that feature these highly nutritious natural substances that are amazing for your skin!

Please note that it is better to look for products that contain these ingredients rather than using these ingredients in raw form as some may have negative side effects or an unpleasant smell if not properly processed. Remember to also be mindful of possible allergies when trying out new products. 

Olive Oil

Olive oil was so revered by the Ancient Greeks that the olive tree was believed to have been a gift from the goddess Athena and plays a key role in the founding myth of Athens. Homer, the famous poet who penned the Iliad and the Odyssey, described the olive as the ‘gold of the ground’. While olive oil may mostly be associated with cooking or salad dressing, it’s been used as a skincare product for thousands of years. High in an oil similar to your skin’s natural sebum, olive oil moisturizes and softens skin. It’s full of antioxidants and vitamins that repair damaged skin and soothe irritation. It’s also great for hair and nails as it hydrates hair follicles, reduces dandruff and encourages nail growth.

Shea Butter

Shea butter has become extremely popular in recent years due to its widespread use in lotions, makeup and hair products. It is derived from the nuts of the shea tree and commonly used throughout its native Africa to protect against the sun and wind. Fatty acids moisturize the skin while Vitamin A and Vitamin E help treat skin conditions like eczema. It’s even been suggested to have anti-inflammatory properties. Shea butter is particularly notable for being able to reduce acne, sunburn peeling, scars, irritation and burns.

Tea Tree Oil

Like shea butter, tea tree oil is renowned as a treatment for various skin ailments. It soothes dry skin by reducing irritation and relieving itchiness, even healing infections that cause itchy skin. Antiseptic properties fight against the buildup of oily skin. It removes chemicals and dead skin cells from the scalp to lessen dandruff. Anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties calm acne by reducing inflammation, swelling and discoloration. Tea tree oil is so effective at treating acne that it is thought to help prevent and minimize acne scars.

Note: While effective when diluted by other oils or as an ingredient in skin care products, pure tea tree oil should NEVER be applied directly to the skin and should not be applied around the eyes.

Sea Salt

Sea salt is naturally beneficial as a skin care aid because our bodies contain the same concentration of nutrients as sea water. Sea salt is much healthier than table salt as it contains additional minerals such as calcium and potassium that are vital to maintaining healthy skin. It makes an excellent exfoliator to gently remove dead skin while simultaneously restoring and hydrating. Sea salt is particularly valuable in the winter when chillier and dryer weather damages skin. It is also an effective teeth whitener, mouthwash and treatment for brittle nails.

Honey

Egyptian Queen Cleopatra, famed for her great beauty, regularly used honey as part of her daily beauty rituals. Honey contains amino acids, minerals, vitamins and enzymes that make it the perfect moisturizer. Use a face mask containing honey to heal skin and leave it glowing, just like French royal mistress Madame du Barry. Follow Cleopatra’s lead and use honey-based bath products or keep hair luxuriant by conditioning with honey like English Queen Anne. Honey has had a long history with the most beautiful women in the world and products that make use of it are a definite must to add to your skincare routine.

Rose Water

Another favorite of Cleopatra rose water is well known for the ability to cleanse and restore dry, oily or combination skin. It controls excess oil by helping to maintain a healthy pH balance and is extremely effective at removing dirt from clogged pores. It’s anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties reduce redness and irritation caused by acne, dermatitis and eczema and also aids in healing scars. Skin tissues are strengthened and regenerated by naturally occurring antioxidants. The smell of roses is also thought to promote general emotional well-being.

Donkey Milk

Though uncommon in the United States, donkey milk is growing in popularity throughout Europe and is a regular ingredient in enriching Greek skin care products. Donkey milk contains vitamins A, B1, B2, D and E and four times as much Vitamin C as cow’s milk, which are all essentials for smooth and healthy skin. It naturally regenerates skin and soothes irritation. Lactic acid within the donkey milk scrubs away the dead skin cells and evens skin tone. Most of all, it’s an extremely gentle product, safe for cleansing and moisturizes even sensitive skin.

Though all the ingredients on this list are fantastic, donkey milk is my personal favorite product as it shows almost immediate results and has been extremely helpful in treating my keratosis pilaris.

So whether you want to feel as clear as a Greek goddess or silky as an Egyptian queen, look for products with these natural ingredients for healthier and happier skin!

Bri Hamlin

South Carolina '19

Hello, it's Bri (to the tune of Adele please). I am a senior at USC Columbia and am not currently thirty, flirty, and thriving, but twenty-one, anxious, and trying will sure do.