I Went to “Opening Night at the Symphony” at USC and It Was Incredible

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Last Tuesday, the USC Symphony Orchestra held its first concert of the 2018-2019 season at the Koger Center. The symphony orchestra, under the direction of Scott Weiss, is the most advanced orchestra in the USC School of Music. They performed three pieces for this first concert: Kabalevsky’s Overture to Colas Breugnon, Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto in E minor and Elgar’s Variations on an Original Theme. Guest violinist Angelo Xiang Yu performed the Mendelssohn piece with the orchestra (and did so breathtakingly, I must add). The tone, intensity and subtle changes in tempo and dynamics with which the orchestra played were masterfully executed and enchanted me throughout the performance. I would recommend the show to everyone, and I believe that they would thoroughly enjoy the experience.

1. Angelo Xiang Yu: Soloist to the Stars

The featured soloist, Yu is an internationally renowned violinist, winning the Yehudi Menuhin International Violin Competition in 2010 and playing for major philharmonics around the world. Yu played Mendelssohn’s concerto mesmerizingly on a 1729 Stradivarius violin and did so WITHOUT music (guys, this song is at least 15 minutes long and super complex). He even performed an encore presentation of Massenet’s Meditation from Thaïs, which drove the entire audience to tears. His passion for music was shone through his posture and facial expressions and enhanced my experience of the concerto. I would highly recommend seeing Yu the next time he has a performance in (or out) of town.

2. Future Performances

The concert season has only just begun for the USC Symphony Orchestra! Their next performance is November 1 with another guest musician, Steven Spooner, followed by a performance on December 4th with the USC Concert Choir and University Chorus. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to see this group perform! All concerts are held nearby at the Koger Center and are free for students!

Madison Kelly

South Carolina '21

Her name is Madison Kelly. She is a sophomore at the University of South Carolina Honors College. She is an International Studies major, and a French and Economics minor. Her goal is to attend law school after graduation and one day work for the United Nations. Her favorite things include: 'The Office', mac-and-cheese, and fluffy socks.
Bri Hamlin

South Carolina '19

Hello, it's Bri (to the tune of Adele please). I am a senior at USC Columbia and am not currently thirty, flirty, and thriving, but twenty-one, anxious, and trying will sure do.