I’m sure it has happened to all of us at some point or another…
It can be so easy to get caught up in the daily motions of life and start to feel burned out. This burnout can make it difficult to get even basic tasks done or feel motivated to do anything. When your mental health takes a hit, your physical body isn’t far behind. This can lead to decreased energy levels, less motivation to do things, and more bad stuff. I think it’s important to realize that we are all human and it is completely normal to feel tired sometimes under the pressure of a world where we are constantly on the go. Above all, it’s essential to take care of yourself and make sure you are staying healthy on the inside and out. Here are some tips that work for me when I am in need of re-charging:
- Take A Walk Outside: Grab your dog, a friend, your mom, significant other or just yourself, and get some fresh air. Throw in some earbuds and listen to a podcast or your favorite song. Take some time to reflect. It’s that simple!
- Get A Workout In: Exercise gives you endorphins, and endorphins make you happy (as Elle Woods once said.) Use that gym membership you’re already paying for, or even do something quick at home to get moving. When I can’t make it to the gym, I like to do a youtube workout in my living room.
- Call A Friend: While being away at college, I oftentimes miss my family and friends from back home. I love to call them from time to time and check in, which boosts my mood and makes my day better.
- Plan Something Exciting: I have found that having something to look forward to makes me happy. Whether it be a weekend getaway or even just something as simple as dinner plans, I love to have something exciting coming up to get pumped about.
- Take A Bath: Obviously, getting clean is something you routinely do anyways, but it also helps you feel better when you’re down.
- Clean Your Space: Whether it be your house, dorm room, or apartment, tidying up your space will make your life feel less cluttered.
- Do Something You Enjoy: Read that book you’ve been wanting to, watch your favorite movie, or go somewhere you love. Whatever it is, do it for you!
- Treat Yourself: Buy that thing you’ve been wanting, go out for your favorite meal, or even just get a candy bar from the vending machine. You deserve it!
- Eat Something Healthy: You don’t have to be a huge health nut to want to eat foods that nourish your body. A nice balanced meal incorporated with some fruits and veggies is a good start. Oftentimes, if you are putting a lot of processed and unhealthy foods in your body, it can bring you down and make you feel sluggish. Find that balance!
- Journal Or Write: Even if you don’t journal often, it could be helpful to write down some things you are grateful for or some goals you want to achieve. I found that this personally helps me clear my mind when I feel foggy.
While I can’t guarantee that these tips will work for you, I think the key point is to just take some time to take care of yourself. Although life can get busy sometimes, it’s important to take some time to chill and recharge.
A lot of times, a funk can be rather short-lived spanning from a few days to a week; and it’s nothing to be super concerned about. If you find yourself feeling stuck and those feelings are not getting better, maybe it should be time to take the next steps into getting some help.