Life > Academics

How to Beat Finals Fatigue: A Girl’s Guide to “Stressed” Academic Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

As we begin to wrap up the Spring 2023 semester, anxieties and worries over exams start to build up and often spill into early summer. To help avoid these fears, I am here to share some of my tips and tricks to help optimize your study/social balance during finals week(s).

Tips

Take 15:

• While studying and cramming for an exam seems crucial to “ace” your final, I can confidently say this is the best way to tire your brain and create lapses in your retention.
    • Although you may be in a time-crunch, and have no choice but to shove your nose into a book, remember to take 15.
  • Whether you have the time or no time at all, TAKE 15! If you do not know how to take 15, here’s how:
    • For every hour of study, take a 15-minute break away from your study materials and away from your study space. Get a breath of fresh air or engross yourself into a different activity. Use this break to take a quick walk, watch 15 minutes of a show, or even make yourself a snack — but remember, breaks are necessary to both YOUR health and YOUR studying!
      • For the last-minute studying or for a quick review, make sure for every minute you actively engage with a text or materials, you take 15 seconds to relax your eyes and settle for inactive attention.

Write It Out:

While I am notorious for relying on online materials or an unmalleable text, here are some ways in which you can connect with your studying and change up your learning for better comprehension.

• Make a study guide: Use a pencil/pen and paper and write down your questions or concerns with a topic. Keeping a tangible record on paper, you can make note of what you know and what needs to be addressed, self-made acronyms or memorable attributions, and/or have a spreadsheet of relevant information to narrow the information down.
    • By writing down relevant information, you actively invite your brain to memorize the materials in your own words and advance your comprehension before the test!

*Optional tip*: If you have access to a laminator (Thomas Cooper Library), laminating your copy of a study guide waterproofs your paper (just in case), but also allows for a quick dry-erase medium. Create a study guide or review that you can now actively engage with!

Fuel Your Mind & Body:

*Disclaimer: Mentions food, food consumption, and food as fuel; notes recommended food items, and generalizes food comfort*

• Finals get hectic, and time moves quick. However, the prioritization of health and well-being must be pressured. Making sure to fuel your body with good, comforting, and energizing foods becomes relevant to your mood and productivity!
  • While coffee, energy drinks, and any type of caffeinated drink can be helpful with maintaining energy, to better help yourself through exam week, make sure you are eating/drinking mindfully and providing yourself with balanced energy, vitamins, minerals, and hydration through such a difficult time.

Tricks

Create a study playlist:

• Contrary to whoever told you music muffles the learning process and cancels out memorization, I am here to tell you that creating a playlist surrounding your studies WORKS! Whether or not its Beethoven, find something that keeps you calm under the stress of finals!

Plan out your sleep schedule:

• 6-8 hours of sleep will help you stay energized while studying for finals — but also come finals time, you will be well-rested and ready to be tested on all that you’ve studied!

Study in a new setting:

• Find a new coffee shop, a public library, or even a park to find some peace and quiet outside of the norm to solidify your knowledge! While this helps you find a change of scenery and pace to your studying, it also gives your brain a break from the same old space.

Do not feel pressured to put your phone on DND — maintain your social life:

• While finals week can be horribly busy and feel like there is absolutely no time to see or text anyone you know, keeping your phone on as a tool, a social connector, and a study break guider can help you — and does not necessarily hurt your learning.
    • Try downloading Quizlet on a mobile device and create a study stack to keep you on track on-the-go. Also, reaching out to a parent, peer, or close friend for reassurance can always be a plus! You deserve self-motivation, but also some social reassurance!

“final”ly

Do not be embarrassed to ask for help:

• College finals often feel extremely overwhelming, or often “life or death” when it comes to a grade. Therefore, do not feel as if you cannot reach out for help.
    • Reaching out to a peer, counselor, or a licensed professional is not weakness! Please take care of yourself and prioritize your health over a grade!

That said: Good Luck!

You’re amazing and so talented! It is just a difficult week, but you’re capable of so much!

Anna Henderson

South Carolina '24

Anna Grace is a Junior English major and Education minor at the University of South Carolina. She is extremely passionate about literature and information access and hopes to pursue a career in teaching one day!