How to Juggle School and Work with Less Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

We all know the struggle of trying to squeeze as many activities as possible into 24 hours – all while wanting to take a nap. Over 80% of students work while in school, so finding that balance between classes, studying and gaining work experience can be a daunting task. With these tips, you can do it all and still have time to take a nap.

1. Plan

The best thing you can do is plan. Let’s say it again for the people in the back, plan. Planning is the key to holding your life together. On the first day of class, write down all major assignments and tests in your planner. This way you can coordinate your work schedule, know when you need to study and know when you have free time. Planning can also help manage your work schedule; you’ll know if you need to take off from work because you have three exams coming up. Planning can help your life be stress-free because you already have a game plan to tackle each week.

2. Communicate with Your Job & Professors

For some of us, it’s necessary for us to work, and we need to make sure our job knows school is our top priority. While it would be great to work overtime or cover a shift for some extra cash, letting your boss know you can’t because of school is valid. While we work to have extra money in school, our goal is to graduate and find better jobs and opportunities. So, if you know that you have an exam the next day, saying no is ok. Talk to your professors because most of them would be happy to help if you’re feeling overwhelmed with an assignment and need some extra help. Open communication is key when it comes to school and work.

3. Work Ahead

While procrastination is our best friend, it doesn’t help when there are other things on our plate. When class is canceled or you have a day off, work ahead on upcoming assignments so you don’t have to worry about them later. This allows you some free time to take a nap, hang out with friends or even pick up an extra shift. If you have something to finish at work, getting it done in advance could possibly get you off a little earlier to enjoy your day.

4. Self-Care

Self-care is the best care. When you’re feeling overwhelmed, it’s nearly impossible to focus on school or work. Stress plays a huge factor is performance. So, put on that facemask and relax. Maybe, even do some retail therapy since you’ve been working extra hard. You can only do so much in a day, so you might as well treat yourself a little too. Going to get your nails done or hitting up your favorite workout class will not only help you relieve some stress, but will ultimately help you be a better student, employee and person all around.

These tips may not eliminate all your stress but it will make your life easier to handle. Remember if Britney Spears survived 2007, you can survive this semester.

Roni Maybin

South Carolina

Current student at the University of South Carolina studying Retail Managment/Marketing. During my rare free time, you can catch me reading a new book or trying to travel to a new city. Hoping to live out my best life with as many dogs as my heart desires.
Bri Hamlin

South Carolina '19

Hello, it's Bri (to the tune of Adele please). I am a senior at USC Columbia and am not currently thirty, flirty, and thriving, but twenty-one, anxious, and trying will sure do.