This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Holley is a senior at the University of South Carolina. She is the queen of time management. Holley has managed to maintain a high GPA while taking hard classes, working, volunteering, applying for PA school, making new friends, and being in a sorority. She even served as the chapter’s chaplain for her sorority! It’s always a breath of fresh air to meet someone who has the whole college thing figured out. Get ready to take notes as we look closer into the life of Holley Davis.

Name: Holley Davis

Year: Senior, Class of 2017

Major: Exercise Science

Hometown: Lexington, SC

HCSC: What would you say are some of the most difficult classes you have taken as an exercise science major?

Holley Davis: I would definitely say Anatomy & Physiology and Physics were two of the most difficult classes I have had to take.

HCSC: What have you done to get into PA school?

HD: I have maintained a high GPA, acquired a job as a nurse technician at Lexington Medical Center to complete my patient care hours, volunteered at Palmetto Baptist Hospital, and applied to multiple PA schools nearby.

HCSC: Which PA schools did you apply to and what did you consider while applying?

HD: I applied to three PA programs: The Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC), the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB), and Augusta University. When choosing which schools I was going to apply to I first looked at how far away they were because I knew that I wanted to stay close to my family. I also looked at the number of patient care hours they required to make sure that I had enough to be considered. I am so thankful to have been invited to interview at UAB and MUSC and I am thrilled to have been accepted to the program at UAB! I am still waiting to hear back from MUSC on their decision and waiting to see if I will be offered an interview at Augusta.

HCSC: What is the difference a physician and a physician’s assistant?

HD: A physician assistant practices very similarly to a physician other than the fact that a PA must be under the supervision of a physician. A PA is able to diagnose, treat, and prescribe medication to patients. There are so many advantages to becoming a PA, such as being in school for a shorter amount of time (only 27 months) and being able to enter the workforce sooner. Also, PAs have lateral mobility, meaning they have flexibility to work in all areas of medicine, unlike a physician who is pinned to the one that they perform their residency and/or fellowship in.

HCSC: Looking back on the past three and a half years, would you say that all of this hard work was worth it?

HD: Absolutely! I am so excited that my hard work and dedication has paid off and I cannot wait to begin my training to become a PA! 

I am just a girly girl from the south who loves coffee, fashion, and of course my Carolina Gamecocks!
Reilly Tuccinard

South Carolina

Reilly Tuccinard is a University of South Carolina graduate with a love of writing, reading and learning. After spending two years as the Beauty Editor for Her Campus Media and the Editor-in-Chief of HC South Carolina, she is focusing on a career in creative strategy. Friends will tell you she's a a self-proclaimed Grey's Anatomy addict, she can't just watch a movie once and she is a firm believer in anything and everything chocolate.