This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Most people own a smartphone in this day and age, but the majority of those people spend a large part of their lives using their phones for social media, texting, and game apps instead of getting into shape. It seems hard to get the daily exercise our bodies need when we’re constantly surrounded by technology. However, technology can be great, and even help people stay healthy. Lucky for you, I’ve compiled a list of super cool apps to help you stay healthy and get that beach bod (without having to count calories):

Fooducate: This app helps you make healthy eating decisions, which is something we all struggle with. All you have to do is open the app, scan the barcode of whatever food you have, and then the app will give the food a grade, just like in school, that lets you know how healthy it is, and why it receives that grade. The app also provides a database of healthy recipes and allows you to record your food intake if you choose. Could it get any easier than that?

Steps: This app is as simple as it sounds; it records your daily steps, and tells you how close you are to your goal, which you can set yourself. You can also see past days’ steps. This app is basically a fitbit, but it won’t empty your wallet because it’s free!

Runtastic Six Pack: On days when you don’t feel like spending an hour in the gym (because who has time for that?), this app gives you various, quick 15-minute ab exercises to work on everyday, and increases the intensity and difficulty as the workouts progress. There are also other workout options available, like sit ups and squats. It’s a great app to use at home or even while on a break at work. 

Nike + Running App: This app actually comes with your iPhone, but it is also easily downloadable for Androids. It helps track your distance, pace, calories, and route on your run. Moreover, it connects to your music, lets you see your progress, and gives runners audio pep talks. It even cheers when the user hits certain accomplishments during his or her workout. It’s basically like your own personal trainer and motivator but electronically. Sort of like an electronic boyfriend? 

Well, there you have it! Try out these awesome apps to kickstart a summer of healthy decisions! I know the staff at #HCSC is doing the same. Tweet us some of your favorite fitness apps @HCsouthcarolina!

From New Jersey Student at the University of South Carolina
SC Contributor

South Carolina