Starbucks Holiday 6?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Starbucks Holiday 6?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Starbucks

Are Starbucks’ Holiday Drinks Worth the Hype?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Every year Starbucks launches an array of holiday drinks, many are returning favorites while some are brand-new. Launch day of the holiday drinks, along with red cup day, are arguably Starbucks’ busiest days of the year. The lines run out the door as people rush to get their hands on their favorite drinks or try new ones, but is it just the hype and the Christmas season or are the drinks truly good? Are Starbucks’ holiday drinks really worth the hype?

starbucks holiday drink menu 2022?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Starbucks

Peppermint Mocha

The peppermint mocha is a classic Christmas staple. Ask anyone and I am sure they will tell you they have at least tried it. It is quite literally Christmas in a cup. The warm mocha with the overwhelming peppermint flavor is sure to be loved by most. This is not my go to drink as I find it very rich and not something I can drink often, but if I am in the mood for a dessert drink, this is sure to satisfy that.

Gingerbread Latte

The gingerbread latte was my favorite holiday drink growing up. It was what I got every single time I went to Starbucks during November and December. Then a couple years ago, for some unknown reason, they decided to remove it off their menu. Many Christmas seasons came and went where I could not have the gingerbread chai but this year, they brought it back. It was the first drink I had of the holiday season, and it did not disappoint. It was just as good as I remembered it. This drink is not overwhelmingly sweet or rich which makes it perfect. I know many people who dislike the holiday drinks because of they are overwhelming sweet. The gingerbread latte is not! It’s perfect for anyone who wants to enjoy a Christmas drink but likes more subtle drinks.

Gingerbread Chai

Along with the gingerbread latte, they launched a new drink this season called the gingerbread chai. I wanted to love this drink. The gingerbread latte was my favorite and chai tea lattes are my go-to drink more than coffee. When I got this drink however, I was disappointed. I got it hot (I only get holiday drinks hot) but I honestly did not taste gingerbread. Was it good? Yes, but it simply tasted like a chai latte, no taste of gingerbread. Maybe the iced drink would be better but per my recommendation, I would not recommend the gingerbread chai if the goal is a strong holiday drink. It is good, but the gingerbread flavor does not stand out.

Chestnut Praline Latte

When they removed the gingerbread latte a couple of years ago, I had to find a new drink to switch to. For me, I became in love with the chestnut praline latte. This drink is very similar to the gingerbread latte, which is why I love it. It too is not super sweet or rich and is incredibly cozy, tasting like a warm fireside. This is a drink I also recommend for those that want to get in the holiday spirit at Starbucks but do not want a drink overpowering with sweetness.

Sugar Cookie Latte

The sugar cookie latte is a relatively new Starbucks holiday drink only launching a couple of Christmases ago. I personally love this drink. I have only had the hot version, but it tastes amazing. It truly tastes and smells identical to a sugar cookie! I also love the sprinkles they add on top for an extra bit of festiveness.

I have my go to holiday drinks at Starbucks and typically stick to them, but there are so many flavors. Even if one is not your favorite, there are so many, and I am sure everyone will be able to find one they like. Christmas is a great time of year and getting a holiday drinks makes it even better.

Crème brûlée and white chocolate mocha were not included as I have never tried them.

Amber Brown

South Carolina '26

Amber is an editorial member of the Her Campus South Carolina chapter. She writes articles every month best directed at other females giving advice, reviews, and sharing her opinions on all things college, South Carolina, entertainment, and lifestyle. Amber is a sophomore nursing student at the University of South Carolina from her home state of Maryland. She has a strong passion for helping children and infants so once she graduates with her BSN in the year 2026, she hopes to become a labor and delivery, pediatric, or NICU nurse in a hospital. When Amber is not with Her Campus, she has many passions and hobbies. She loves taking hot yoga classes, and hopes to one day become an instructor herself, hiking scenic trails that end in an overlook view, baking and cooking new recipes, and traveling. She has been vegetarian for 9 years and is a huge advocate of living a healthy, balanced lifestyle. Amber is a huge movie fan, specifically those from the 80s and 90s, but she will always be up to date on the newest films in theatres. When the end of the year approaches and we have reached the fall and winter months, you will find many festive and seasonal articles from her as she loves to be in the spirit of the season.