6 Reasons To Foster an Animal in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Have you ever had one of those days where you wake up and think, “Wow, I totally need a dog”? Having a pet in college seems like a great idea until you consider the realities of this huge responsibility – vet bills, food, toys, the time commitment… Well, believe it or not, there’s a way to have a pet and avoid most of these responsibilities. Fostering a pet allows you to experience all the fun of having a pet without many of the stresses that come with it.  Here are six reasons why you should consider fostering during your time at UofSC.

1. It’s FREE!

Can dogs eat ramen?… When you’re a broke college kid, the idea of having another head to feed may be daunting. However, when you choose to foster, every necessity is usually included at no cost.  Food, treats, toys, a crate, litter and a litter box are all included when you go through most shelters (Pawmetto Lifeline includes everything that you could possibly need). By fostering an animal, you are helping that shelter; so most places make the process as easy and cheap as possible.  What is there to lose?

2. The time commitment is for a limited time. 

For some of us, the time commitment can be the most stressful aspect of having a pet at school. While now might be the perfect time for you to have a pet, it might be a different story once finals week and the summer rolls around.  You want to give your pet the best life possible, so it may be hard to make this commitment with your continuously-changing schedule. With fostering at Pawmetto, you can choose which animal you want and know ahead of time how long you will be taking care of him or her.  Most commitments range from two weeks to a month, so you can be sure that you will have that extra time to dedicate to your furry friend.

3. It’s SO easy to foster. 

At Pawmetto Lifeline, the fostering process goes like this: submit a quick online application, attend a two-hour training session and take home your pet. Again, YOU are doing the shelter a favor by taking in an animal so they work to make it as easy as possible for you. 

4. You can choose your pet.

Dog or cat, old or young, male or female… the choice is yours. Once you are certified to foster, you will be added to a Facebook group where animals are posted. All it takes is a simple comment to volunteer to foster a specific animal and then you can go pick him or her up and take them home. 

5. You’re helping an animal in need.

Yes, it may be fun to have a puppy running around your apartment for a couple weeks, but don’t forget that you’re not the only one benefiting from this arrangement.  By volunteering to foster an animal, you are taking them out of a shelter for a significant amount of time and allowing them to experience the love and comfort of a real home.  Fostering is community service and for many organizations, you can even count it as volunteer hours. The animal will love being with you just as much (if not more) as you love being with them.

6. It’s FUN!

Imagine lying in bed and studying… now imagine lying in bed and studying BUT with a dog cuddling up to you. Who can’t use a little company and extra love every now and then? Plus, don’t forget walks at the river, cute pics and Yappy Hour at Jake’s…It’s basically a win-win situation. 

If you’re at a point in college where you feel like you want a pet but you can’t imagine committing an open-ended amount of time and money, fostering an animal is the best option for you. It’s not only fun, but you are also changing the life of an animal (even if it’s only for a couple weeks). You are the light in this animal’s tunnel for a short time and fostering allows you to make another life better while benefiting your own.

Fill out an online application for Pawmetto Lifeline here or call (803) 465-9150 with any questions.  

Katie Graybill

South Carolina '20

Katie is a journalism student at the University of South Carolina. She loves the beach, traveling, writing, and spending time with her pets!
Bri Hamlin

South Carolina '19

Hello, it's Bri (to the tune of Adele please). I am a senior at USC Columbia and am not currently thirty, flirty, and thriving, but twenty-one, anxious, and trying will sure do.