Heirloom Tomatoes
Heirloom Tomatoes
Ellen Gibbs / Spoon

5 Tomato-Based Recipes to Try Before the End of Tomato Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Those who’ve lived in South Carolina know that tomato season in the Palmetto state is no joke. Growing up, my family ate BLTs and fried green tomatoes for lunch every week from June to August. Once the weather turned colder, we would dip grilled cheese sandwiches in bowls of warm tomato soup. For me, tomato season is synonymous with good food. So in honor of the last month of delicious, juicy tomatoes, here are five tomato-based recipes to try before the end of tomato season!

1. ToMato Basil Soup

Secret time: I have not always been the biggest fan of tomato soup. Until recently, I failed to understand the appeal of a soup comprised of just…tomatoes. I realize now that I had just not tried the right recipe yet. Simple and rich in flavor, this tomato basil soup is an excellent way to utilize ripe Roma tomatoes and fresh herbs! It can be served solo or with a grilled cheese sandwich for a heartier meal.

2. Ratatouille

Growing up, I loved Disney’s Ratatouille and always dreamed of trying the film’s namesake dish. If you can relate, you’re in luck! Tomato season is the perfect time to make a ratatouille, as the backbone of this French classic is the Roma tomato. If you have the time and ability to do so, I suggest making your own tomato sauce. It elevates this dish to a new level of deliciousness!

3. Caprese salad

Caprese salad is a simple dish consisting of sliced tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, and balsamic vinegar. It’s tangy, refreshing, and perfect for a light dinner. Need something a bit more filling? No problem. Toss your salad ingredients between sliced ciabatta for a Caprese sandwich. With Caprese, you’ve got options.

4. ROASTED TOMATO pASTA

This roasted tomato spaghetti appears in my dinner rotation frequently during tomato season. It’s sweet, smokey, garlicky, and exactly what I need after a long day of schoolwork. I mean, who eats pasta and isn’t immediately happier? Be sure not to skip on making the garlic breadcrumbs listed in this recipe! I assure you that the extra effort has a major flavor payout!

5. Shakshuka

Said to have originated in Tunisia, shakshuka features poached eggs cooked in a tomato sauce with peppers, onions, garlic, herbs, and spices. If you (like me) find that eggs are hit-or-miss, the acidity of the tomatoes and the flavor imparted by the aromatics make this dish nothing less than fantastic! Serve shakshuka for breakfast, lunch, or dinner with warm flatbread, chickpea salad, or roasted eggplant for a hearty and delicious meal.

Hilary Brown

South Carolina '27

Hilary Brown is a writer for Her Campus South Carolina. She is a freshman at the University of South Carolina, double-majoring in accounting and finance. In her free time, Hilary enjoys cooking, trying new foods, watercolor painting, and hanging out with her Shih-Tzu, Scarlett.