5 Secrets to Snag Every Class You Need Next Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

You’ve already met with your advisor and know what you’re supposed to take next semester. But more often than not, you probably scramble on registration day and wind up in classes that you most definitely did not intend to take. This year will be different though! We’ve put together the best hacks to grab a seat in the courses you need next semester. No more waking up for an 8 AM class with a professor you hate!

1. Plan out your ideal courses in advance. 

We mean have them figured out down to the course number and section. This will come in handy when you don’t have to register for each class one-by-one. Which brings us to number two…

2. Don’t register for your classes one-by-one. 

When you go to register, you have the option to enter CRN numbers at the bottom of the add/drop page (they are five digits long). These are your best friends! Have the CRN for each course written out so all you have to do is quickly enter them and submit!

3. Check out the professors ahead of time.

When you’re scoping out potential classes, be sure to look at Rate My Professor. You’ll be able to make sure the class time you want is being taught by a great professor as well. (Unfortunately, early morning wake up calls are worth it if the professor for the noon section is the absolute worst!)

4. Be sure to have a Plan B.

If worse comes to worst and you don’t end up with your ideal classes despite being speedy, you should have a back up plan. Write down the CRN number for your second choices (have as many as possible!) and have it on hand when you register.

5. Make sure the class doesn’t have any restrictions.

Even if you don’t have holds on your account, there still may be something that holds you back when registering for certain classes. Be sure you have all the prerequisites fulfilled beforehand and that there are no restrictions on the course. For example, some classes are reserved for honors students only or are strictly for business students. It can take a lot of valuable time if you try to submit your schedule and instead you get an error box.

Good luck!

Alex is a Public Relations major at the University of South Carolina. She is an avid napper, a lover of guacamole and an Office enthusiast.
SC Contributor

South Carolina