Wellness > Health

5 Reasons Why Running is Good for the Soul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Running has been known to be a positive outlet for the everyday stresses of life. Running has also been scientifically proven to help your mind, body and overall health. Below are five researched reasons why running is good for the soul.

1. Running can make you happy

Thanks to the rush of endorphins and neurotransmitters, like dopamine and norepinephrine, that are released while you run, that rush of “feel-good” hormones can make runners feel the euphoric state that many people talk about. Just 30 minutes of walking or running on a treadmill can instantly lift your mood!

2. Running can help your brain grow

Running activates and enhances neuron reserves in the human brain, which are central to the brain’s capacity to learn. In short, run because it will make you smarter!

3. Running improves your immune system

Moderate exercise can improve immune function, and help you stay healthy! Not only will it help prevent against harmful bacteria, but also studies have shown it can reduce the risk of cancers showing up in the body.

4. Running will tone your body

Although running is mostly known for giving women that lean body shape, it can also help tone certain areas of the body as well. Running can help tone your butt and legs, while also making you feel and appear stronger!

5. Running can treat depression

If you’re ever struggling with something in your life that seems insurmountable, instead of putting all your energy into trying to fix the problem, go out for a quick run! Although exercise is not always the answer, it’s a doable alternative that will undoubtedly bring things into perspective and leave you feeling much happier.

Treat running as you do with any day-by-day norm you have. While it is important to eat a hearty breakfast every morning, it’s equally important to have that ten-minute run in as well. While I am no doctor, I have definitely seen and felt most of these benefits from running. Try it out for yourself to see if it’s a good outlet for you!