bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 New Year’s Resolutions You Can Actually Keep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

New Year’s resolutions are practically a cliché now. How often do they last beyond the month of January? People set out to lose 50 pounds in three months, start a paleo diet or attempt going to hot yoga five times a week, but it’s just not realistic because life always gets in the way. That doesn’t mean you can’t better yourself in 2017 though. You can make some amazing changes in your life if you create realistic and focused goals. So try out these resolutions and make all 12 months of 2017 count!

1. Procrastinating

Everyone knows that procrastination is your worst enemy. But for those of us who procrastinate in every facet of life, from writing papers to cleaning your room, it can really put a damper on things. So start off small and try to accomplish anything that will take two minutes or less. Whether it’s quick email response, or making an appointment, you’d be surprised what you can accomplish in a few minutes. Once you start taking the little things head on you’ll work your way up to the big stuff.

2. Reading

It’s something that you wish you did more of, but just never seem to have the time for. But if your can spend five hours on a Netflix binge, you can definitely get in a couple chapters. The key is to choosing a good book, so ask your friends for recommendations or check out the New York Times Bestsellers list. You can even check out our weekly reads sections for ideas. Once you’ve got a keeper, try to read for at least 30 minutes a day. Reading before bed is a great way to unwind and disconnect.

3. Friendships

There are always a few friends that you wish you had more time to spend with, but it always seems like something gets in the way. Make the conscious decision to reach out to those friends and reconnect. Whether it’s meeting for brunch, studying together or going downtown, you’ll be able to rekindle some great friendships. Just send a text and see how they’re doing. There’s nothing wrong with reaching out, and you’ll be glad you did.

4. Health

Ok, this doesn’t mean you need to go on an organic food kick. Make little adjustments to your life and you’ll find that this resolution isn’t as daunting as it seems. Simple things like walking to class, taking the stairs and eating breakfast are key changes that can be super beneficial. Have problems with eating out too much? Challenge yourself to eat out only on the weekends. It’s a great way to stay healthy during the week while also feeling like you can enjoy your weekend and have a few cheat days.

5. Organization

Step one: buy a planner. Step two: write in it. This is one of the most basic but life changing steps you can take towards a more organized life. Keep track of homework, meetings, work and any other pressing matter in your life. Once you have a written plan for your week you can de-stress and compartmentalize your goals.

This is your year! Make 2017 the best yet!

Reilly Tuccinard

South Carolina

Reilly Tuccinard is a University of South Carolina graduate with a love of writing, reading and learning. After spending two years as the Beauty Editor for Her Campus Media and the Editor-in-Chief of HC South Carolina, she is focusing on a career in creative strategy. Friends will tell you she's a a self-proclaimed Grey's Anatomy addict, she can't just watch a movie once and she is a firm believer in anything and everything chocolate.