This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Ethical beauty practices can encompass a range of considerations, from vegan and cruelty-free to sustainable sourcing and eco-friendly packaging. Unfortunately, a common misconception is that ethical beauty is impossible to obtain without, well…lots of money. Today, I’m proving that theory wrong. Here are five budget-friendly, ethical beauty brands to make your beauty routine more sustainable.

E.L.F.

E.L.F. is famous for its selection of affordable skin care and cosmetics, but are their products ethically up-to-par? Yes! E.L.F. products are 100% vegan, free from harmful phthalates, sulfates, and parabens, and certified as cruelty-free by the Leaping Bunny Program. Per their website, E.L.F. is currently partnered with How2Recycle and is dedicated to reducing unnecessary packaging. Though most E.L.F. products are produced overseas, the company is Fair Trade Certified, ensuring their supply chain is ethically regulated. So, whether you need a high-coverage foundation or a light moisturizer, you never need to feel guilty for choosing E.L.F. for your cosmetic and skin care needs.

ACURE

Most known for its “clean beauty” skin care, Acure is a skin, body, and hair care brand that retails around $10-$20 per product. Manufactured in the United States, Acure products are 100% vegan, free from harmful sulfates and parabens, and certified as cruelty-free by the Leaping Bunny Program. Per their website, all Acure product packaging is created from recycled materials, and the company is currently pursuing an official Carbon Neutral Certification. By adhering to these standards, Acure delivers for the conscientious consumer whose skin needs a little TLC.

HEMPZ

You probably recognize Hempz by their iconic, yummy-smelling lotions and body care products. Manufactured in the United States, Hempz products are 100% vegan, free from harmful phthalates, sulfates, and parabens, and certified as cruelty-free by the Leaping Bunny Program. Per their website, Hempz is partnered with One Tree Planted and employs sustainable packaging materials such as PCR plastic and glass. Worried about the environmental impact of hemp production? Have no fear! For every tonne of hemp produced, 1.63 tonnes of carbon are removed from the atmosphere

NOT YOUR MOTHER’S

Not Your Mother’s is a hair care brand that offers affordable products whether your hair is straight, curly, thin, thick, or color-treated (I, personally, am a huge fan of their dry shampoo). Per their website, all Not Your Mother’s products are cruelty-free, utilize recyclable packaging, and are manufactured in the United States. Although most Not Your Mother’s products are vegan, the Royal Honey & Kalahari Melon line and 10-in-1 All Eyes On Me Hair Perfector contain honey and keratin, respectively. With Not Your Mother’s, a sustainable hair day is less than $10 away!

SUN BUM

Everyone needs a good sunscreen, and Sun Bum is here to deliver. Manufactured in the United States, Sun Bum is certified as cruelty-free by the Leaping Bunny Program, and the brand’s skin care and sunscreen products utilize recyclable packaging. Although most Sun Bum products are vegan, the Lip Balm series and Diaper Rash Cream contain beeswax. Per their website, all Sun Bum products comply with Hawaii Act 104 and are free of reef-killing parabens, oxybenzone, and octinoxate. And — according to The New York Post — Sun Bum sunscreen is one of the 25 best sunscreens for dark skin, leaving no white cast behind!

Hilary Brown

South Carolina '27

Hilary Brown is a writer for Her Campus South Carolina. She is a freshman at the University of South Carolina, double-majoring in accounting and finance. In her free time, Hilary enjoys cooking, trying new foods, watercolor painting, and hanging out with her Shih-Tzu, Scarlett.