This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

I am a not a good baker. I usually buy the already box cake or brownie mix and add the simple ingredients and put it in the oven, but today I was put to the test. I challenged myself to make something from Pinterest from scratch. Let me tell you the story…

I reached out to one of my friends who was a Pinterest fan and asked them to send some recipes that related to fall or Halloween. She sent me a couple links and I found one that was perfect, an Oreo pumpkin cheesecake recipe. Delicious, right? I immediately went to the grocery store to get the ingredients. Once I made it to Safeway, it took me an hour to find the ingredients…ingredients like pureed pumpkin and nutmeg I had never even heard before. I had to call my mother, who was at a football game, to explain to me what each meant. Can you tell I never learned much about baking from her?

Once I had *finally* all my ingredients it was time to bake! I decided to do a Snapchat story to show my friends how I was doing and to enjoy my first attempt at baking from scratch all by myself. 

You can find the recipe here. 

EXPECTATION:

Pic: laurenslatest.com

The first step was to put the Oreo’s into the muffin tray and place it to the side and pre-heat the oven at 325 F. Easy. 

The second step was to put 8. oz of cheese and 1/2 cup of sugar together and mix it, till it smoothens it out. I put the cheese in and the sugar, but the cheese was all chunky and it smelled horrendous, but I thought it was just me.

In another bowl, was to put 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons of flour, a pinch of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/8 Nutmeg, and lastly 1/2 cup of pureed pumpkin.  The pureed pumpkin smelled awful that I was debating if I should even continue.

When I was mixing the ingredients, my friend, Tori, came over to see how the recipe was going. She noticed something was off with the cheese and asked to check the recipe again. I looked and saw I was using cottage cheese instead of cream cheese. No matter what apparently, they are not the same thing. It was close to closing time at Raley’s, but Tori and I quickly drove over and bought cream cheese for the recipe and start all over. Once, I started all over again, I put the mixture t in the muffin tray and in the oven for 30 minutes.  During this journey on learning to bake, I experience knowing food I never heard of, the difference between cheeses, and it takes patience on the outcome will be. When the Oreo Pumpkin Cheesecake came out, I forced my friends to try one. In a shocking surprise, some people enjoyed it!

“I thought it was a delicious dessert that I would definitely have again.”- Christine one of my friends.

“They were too sweet for me, but they are enjoyable.”- Nicole of my roommates.

“I thought they turned out successful, but it came out too rich.”-Charlotte one of my roommates as well.

The turned out showed that if you have a really sweet tooth, you should totally go and try and make them. If you are not, I really recommend trying something else.

REALITY:

Hi, my name is Katrina Hilke. I go to Sonoma State University majoring in English Creative Writing.
Contributor account for HC Sonoma