This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

May is rapidly approaching and most of the graduating seniors are looking at each other in disbelief. Where did the past four years go? It feels like just last week we moved into our dorms (not residential commons; those didn’t exist when we arrived at the Hilltop), stressed about finding friends to sit with at Umph (again history lesson; Arnold wasn’t a thing), and couldn’t figure out which building was Clements and which was Hyer. #tbt to Across the Street bar, amiright?

Well we grew up. We figured out how to deal with horrible roommates, do our laundry, balance classes, internships and friends, and (for the most part) we have figured out what we want to do with our lives. But rewind to ARRO, when our leaders told us about the special SMU traditions that have been around the Boulevard for years. The things we couldn’t graduate without doing. Yeah some things of the items on the list our group leaders didn’t want our parents to find out about (#weststacks) but in case anybody has forgotten about some of these official, and some not so official, traditions; here they are.

Don’t forget guys, graduation is May 14 so get busy.

Photo via SMU

West Stacks

Fondren Library. Aka where dreams go to die. The tradition at SMU is to hookup in the west stacks. Whether you need to blow off some steam, relieve tension from studying or the guy in your group project is just too hot to not, we won’t judge. Live it up! Just hope that the rumored ghost of Fondren Library doesn’t show to watch.

The Tunnels

There are tunnels that run underneath of the campus to connect the buildings. Most of the entrances have been gated off but every now and then you can find an opening and explore. Years ago it was rumored that the RA’s from Smith and Perkins hall would show freshman the tunnels and let them explore. Just beware; evidently you are exposed to asbestos down there.

Riding the Mustangs

The statue of the mustangs at the intersection of Binkley and Airline. Like you cant miss them. The tradition is to climb up the statue (take care to avoid the newly planted flowers) and quite literally ride the mustangs. Make sure to get a friend to take a picture while you’re up there because it’s taller than you would think and you may not want to attempt it again.

Fountain Hopping

SMU has fountains. We have lots of fountains. We are proud of our fountains. There even used to be a student run joke news site called The Fountain. Just in case any of y’all were wondering. You have to jump into every fountain before you graduate, according to tradition. There are approximately 7-12 fountains on the SMU campus

The Top of Dallas Hall

On the third floor of Dallas Hall a simple looking door leads to the very top of Dallas Hall. They have been locking the door more consistently but it is worth checking, because the view is amazing. Avoid the rat skeletons and sign your name in the mysterious blue room that has signatures from student’s years back.

Fondren Bell Tower

Fondren science building has bells that can be heard across campus. You can access the attic of Fondren, and the bell tower, from the third floor. Don’t go if you’re afraid of heights because getting to the top of the bell tower requires climbing three ladders or so.

The Boulevard/Dallas Hall Hookup

It’s the granddaddy of them all. The one thing you can’t leave without…doing. Lol. It’s a tradition for students to hook up either inside or in front of Dallas Hall before they leave. It’s a risky one, especially with giddy-up driving around, but the rush is worth it, evidently.

How quickly the years have gone by. College has been the most amazing four years, filled with nights that turned into mornings with friends who turned into family. Sorry for getting sappy guys, but the real world is coming and I will be the first to admit that leaving SMU is not going to be easy. 

Feature photo via SMU

CarleeAnn Allen is a senior at Southern Methodist University majoring in Journalism and Psychology. Between finding new places to eat and pretending she has her life together, she enjoys taking naps and being active in her sorority.
We are the SMU Team.