‘Tis the Season: How to Give Back in DFW this Holiday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Thanksgiving is not only the one day of the year where it is acceptable to eat your weight in mashed potatoes, but it’s also a day to set aside time to think about everything you are thankful for. Thanksgiving, and the weeks following it, are also a great time to give back to your community, and help those who are less fortunate than you. 

SMU Parking and ID Card Services have partnered with the Dallas Children’s Advocacy Center to do some good for everyone with Toys for Tickets.  You can get rid of a parking ticket by donating a present of equal or greater value.  If you don’t have a ticket to pay off, you can still donate toys until November 30th in the big brown boxes located around campus.

SMU Libraries are feeling the spirit of giving, too.  Bring canned food donations to Fondren Library, Hamon Arts Library, or Bridwell Library to reduce your library fines.  For every canned good donated, you will recieve a $2 credit.  This awesome opportunity to not only help yourself, but help those who benefit from the North Texas Food Bank, is running from November 28 until December 16. 

If you aren’t excited about the on-campus service projects you can always burst out of the SMU-bubble and make your way deeper into the DFW area.  You could volunteer at a food pantry like North Texas Food Bank, CCA, or Resource Center. You could even volunteer at an animal shelter but make sure it’s a no-kill shelter, like Dog and Kitty City, first.  Remember – if you want to be adventurous – you will need to first fill out a volunteer application.  Most include a criminal background check so, donate a toy to remove your parking ticket off your record before you apply.  Thank you, Park N Pony for finally doing some good in the world.   

SaveSave

Alexis is a junior at Southern Methodist University and working towards a degree in secondary education and English with a specialization in creative writing.  Alexis is a member of Alpha Chi Omega and the president of Golden Key International Honor Society.  In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, dancing, and watching videos of puppies.  Food is her best friend and Pinterest quote boards are her guilty pleasure.  
We are the SMU Team.