Style > Beauty

Sun’s Out, Legs Out: About Good Razors, Exfoliates, Moisturizers, and Home Pedicures

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

It’s April, and you know what that means: summer is just around the corner! The flowers are blooming, the days are longer, and the weather is warming. The sun’s out, so our legs are too!

Here are our step-by-step tips to get your smoothest, longest lasting shave, just in time for shorts season.

Step 1: Exfoliating, who knew?

Your bad shave may be caused by evil dead skin cells that are clogging up your razor and your hair follicles! Not to worry, exfoliating can help. Exfoliation is a must before shaving, as it helps to wake up the hair follicles, get rid of dead skin, and prevent ingrown hairs. Loofahs, salt scrubs and other gentle exfoliants are all key for having happy legs! Pamper your legs before you shave, and it will leave them smooth and silky.

Step 2: Check your Razor!

Wondering who’s to blame for your bumpy, uneven shave? Look no further! The culprit may be your closest shaving ally: your razor! Razors should be dry, sharp and rust-free. Always dry your razor after use, that way you can use it longer, and prevent icky rust that can lead to nasty infections. The newer and cleaner your razor is, the better shave you’ll get! Also, buying those cheap value cost razors might be saving your wallet, but can hurt your skin! Cheaper razors tend to rust fast and go dull even before you get to the other leg. If you buy a good razor and care for it, a single blade can give you an amazing shave, multiple times.

Step 3: Shaving cream, your new best friend!

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Before you start, there is one key thing that you might be missing! Shaving cream is the easiest way to instantly improve your shave. Water, regular bar soap and body wash will cause redness, bumps and prevent close shaves. Conditioning your skin and your hair follicles before you shave will help stop irritation. Don’t have any shaving creams or shave specific products? Don’t worry, conditioner or coconut oil will do the trick!

Step 4: Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!

We have all heard that moisturizing is key to smooth, youthful skin and that goes for legs too! After all the warm water, scrubbing and sharp blades, your legs need a little care. Right after you shave, completely dry your legs, then use a moisturizer to keep your legs conditioned and smooth. Even try a tinted moisturizer or one with a little shine to give them a healthy, warm glow!

Brooke Weber Is the first year at Southern Methodist University. She is majoring in Advertising with a minor graphic design and photography. As a true northerner does, she loves the cold and the snow! She loves living a healthy lifestyle, born and raised vegan! You will definitely are be going to find her looking on all the style trends for the coming Seasons
We are the SMU Team.