This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

We all know how relentless the winter cold can be on our skin. Waking up with dry, cracked lips, our faces feeling like sandpaper to the touch, and our makeup clinging on to dry patches. Especially after this insane winter we’ve had across the country, we can all attest to the winter-time facial sadness.

Having a regimented skin care routine is especially vital during these months to ensure we have that dewy, soft and beautiful skin we crave. Here are a couple of skincare must-haves to save your face from feeling like this:

Or this:

Image via Parsing Eye on Unsplash

To start, we all need a good replenishing and moisturizing face wash. Greek yogurt is an excellent ingredient to help tighten the skin, give moisture, and delay signs of aging. The Greek skincare brand, Korres, has a whole line of Greek yogurt products that work absolute wonders to make your dry skin disappear. Here is one of their best reviewed Greek Yogurt face washes.

The next crucial item in both cleansing your face and preventing dry skin is a good micellar water. Micellar water is a non-alcoholic cleansing water that both removes extra dirt left on the face and protects the skin. The brand Simple has a cleansing water specifically marketed for dehydrated dry skin, to really give your face that extra fresh boost.

Obviously, moisturizing is the key to preventing dry skin brought on during winter. Everyone’s skin is different with the products they can handle, the thickness of the creams, or ingredients that go into them. But there are key ingredients to look out for when searching for an extra hydrating moisturizer. Fresh, the beauty brand, has a Rose Deep Hydration Face Cream, with replenishing ingredients like rose water. This is a thick yet lightweight moisturizer that can be used day and night to protect your skin.

When moisturizing your face, it is most effective to apply your products when your skin is damp. This can mean just patting your face dry lightly after washing or using a spray before moisturizing to best allow your skin to absorb and keep the moisture. A popular facial spray is the Mario Badescu rosewater facial spray. While the rosewater is the most popular, there is also a cucumber and a lavender spray which also promote healthy, dewy skin and would be perfect for just a quick spritz before moisturizing or as an added boost throughout the day.

Lip care can often be overlooked, but our lips are one of the main areas of our face that suffer from dry and cold weather. Using whatever your favorite brand of chapstick is throughout the day is definitely recommended to keep your lips from cracking, but having a lip mask that you put on at night is definitely the best thing you can do to keep your lips moisturized through the rough winter. Linked below is a soothing, vitamin C infused sleeping lip mask by Laneige.

And last but not least, the best of all: the face mask. The options for face masks are endless and our preferences are too. Lush, while sometimes a little expensive, has a variety of different masks suited to every skin type and skin dilemma you can think of. Specifically, for dry skin though, they sell a mask called the Oatifix mask. This contains ingredients such as oats and bananas to give the face long-lasting moisture.

The winter is a tough time for our faces, so stayed moisturized and hydrated, drink lots of water, and do your best to achieve that dewy, glowy look!

All product images via their respective linked brands

Madison Drummond is a sophomore at Southern Methodist University studying Journalism and Human Rights. Born in Southern California, a few of her passions include finding new music, going to the movies, dr pepper, and corgis!
We are the SMU Team.