My Thoughts on the Phrase, “You’ve Changed”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Image via The Odyssey

At some point in our lives, all of us have heard the words “you’ve changed.” Personally, I have heard a lot of that over this last year, and let me tell you, I’m over it. With that being said, I am here to share my thoughts on that dreadful phrase and the things I wish people would consider before saying it.

Most people mistake change as a bad thing, when it doesn’t have to be. You see, people hate change in any way, shape or form, which is why it is hard for many people to understand that change can also mean growth. As you age and mature, change is inevitable. So, to get upset over someone telling you that you’ve changed is just pointless.

The fact of the matter is that we are allowed to change and grow if we so please. We do not have to maintain someone else’s image of us if that is not how we wish to see ourselves. Giving in to the words “you’ve changed” is allowing others to dictate our own identities.

I have altered my identity more in the last year than I have in my entire life, and I can confidently say that I am a better person for it. I have tried new things and had new experiences that have changed me for the better. Despite hearing criticism from those I once surrounded myself with, I am happier now. I refuse to allow the phrase “you’ve changed” to take my happiness away from me. I have learned to be myself unapologetically and I am glad that I’ve changed.

Let this also be a reminder to not let other peoples’ opinions get the best of you. Ultimately, the only opinion of you that really matters is your own. So, continue on your path. You do not owe anything to anyone but yourself, so do what makes you happy. Changing is the only way to truly learn about ourselves. We can only learn about who we want to be and where we want to go through experience. As cliché as that sounds, this is the time in your life to be selfish. Make new experiences for yourself. Change if you want to. Don’t if you don’t. It’s as simple as that. If it’s any consolation, I believe in you, so keep growing. 

Image by Cloudy Thurstag

Kaitlyn is currently a freshman at Southern Methodist University studying Advertising and Fashion Media. She is from San Diego, California where she spends the majority of her free time driving down the coast. Her hobbies include trying new beauty products, finding the best Mac & Cheese, and petting every dog she crosses paths with. 
We are the SMU Team.