This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Staying skinny as a freshman is hard enough with the drinking, hangovers, and resulting lack of energy for the gym. Having to eat at umph with a hangover also plays a major role in those few extra pounds that just keep increasing every time you step on the scale, especially when you wake up craving something greasy and the first thing you see walking into that god forsaken cafeteria is fresh pizza, a pasta line, and the smell of freshly baked, warm, just out of the oven cookies. Like, are they trying to make us women fat? I’m still convinced yes, but there are ways to get around it.

The omelets are a great choice for protein and some veggies to start your day, but watch out for those sneaky cafeteria workers because they tend to smother it with oil right before the egg is added. Ask for the spray instead and maybe swap for the egg whites, and of course don’t forget to add your veggies!

Another great option umph offers that I always overlooked freshman year because of my desperate need for carbs is the vegan section. Fresh brown rice and grilled veggies are common items in that area, and though it might not sound too satisfying or appetizing, you will thank yourself later when you’re squeezing into your tight little outfit on Thursday at Avenu.

The sandwich and salad bars are another great place to create a low cal lunch. You can never go wrong sticking to greens and lean proteins, or maybe even tofu! Sometimes if you are lucky the person behind the counter will happily make you a wrap or sandwich of your choice, but try sticking to the spinach wrap or whole wheat bread…it may not be as tasty as sourdough but it sure is better for your legs.

My last word of advice is to never make your self more than one plate. The minute your stack of plates is so high that you have to balance it to get to the cleaning station, you are in trouble. Big trouble. Oh and NEVER go near the frozen yogurt section. It is terribly addicting…especially when you mix the vanilla froyo with peanut butter or strategically squish it between two cookies for something close to a pokios ice cream sandwich. Remember that moderation is key – don’t forget that you can splurge on weekends or the occasional hump day, just know that there are ways to balance your diet in umph.