nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Ways to Conquer Your Morning From a Non-Morning Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Simply put: mornings are hard. Especially for someone who dreads waking up more than most things in life. Finding the motivation to wake up on time, put together a cute outfit and walk out the door on time for class is practically impossible. Plus, if one thing goes wrong, it could ruin the rest of your day. 

It’s unrealistic to think that your morning self can form coherent thoughts and plan entire day. To avoid another morning that involves running out of your dorm without most of your belongings, try switching up your routine! 

Pick out your outfit the night before. 

Picking out clothes in the morning usually ends in frustration and a messy closet. Preparing the night before will not only cut your getting ready time in half, but will also give you more time put together your outfit. 

Set your alarm for 20 minutes earlier. 

While this doesn’t exactly sound ideal, this will give you more time to hit snooze before finally getting out of bed at a reasonable time. 

Put on a playlist full of your favorite songs. 

It is a scientifically proven fact that listening to your favorite songs is the best way to start your day off on a good note. If your roommate is asleep, bring along some headphones to listen as you walk to your morning class. 

Make your bed before you leave your room. 

Your future self will thank you when you get back to your room and you already have a comfortable place to lay down. Plus, this is a great way to start your day doing something productive. 

Get a coffee to go before your morning class. 

A quick coffee before class is an easy way to feel awake and alert. While Starbucks may be a fun treat sometimes, getting a to-go cup from the dining hall is a great option, too. 

Plan to get to class 5 minutes early. 

Arriving slightly early for class may seem unimportant, but it can make a huge difference in your day. 

Pack your backpack the night before.

Getting to a class without a book that you need is a great way to give yourself a mini-heart attack. Avoid this morning mishap by putting together all of your books the night before. 

Want more from HCSMU? Follow us on Social Media!

Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
Alexandra Henderson is a first year Vocal Performance major with a minor in Arts Management. She attended the High School for Performing and Visual Arts in Houston, Texas. While her life is mainly centered around music on campus, she is also a member of the Emerging Leaders program and Commons Council. When she isn't listening to Dear Evan Hansen on repeat Alex is reading a cliché romance novel, writing in her bullet journal, or watching a show about tiny houses on HGTV.
We are the SMU Team.