element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Christmas Tunes to Keep You From Listening to the Same Old Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

It’s the Holiday Season – the most wonderful time of the year! The lights are up, the malls are decorated, and most importantly – Christmas songs are finally the norm on the radio. As jolly as it all is, it makes sense to grow tired of the same classic songs and artists. I know I have. Luckily there’s Spotify, which holds endless amounts of new songs and new renditions – and this Christmas, I have been using that to my advantage to spice up my tunes. If you can relate to the same struggle, do not look any further. I am here to tell you my favorites!  

1. Sufjan Stevens

While not as popular as Mariah Carey or Michael Bublé, Sufjan Stevens puts a new singer-songwriter and indie twist on Christmas music. His renditions are creatively done, and will definitely spark up your Christmas playlist this season. Some of my favorites of his are – “Put the Lights on the Tree,” “Only at Christmas Time,” and “Joy to the World.”

2. She & Him

If you love Zooey Deschanel and a more acoustic sound – you’ll love She & Him, and more importantly, their Christmas songs! With Zooey’s beautiful and echoing voice, and the simple instruments in the background – this is the perfect sound to listen to on a cold winter evening. My favorites are – “Christmas Day,” “The Coldest Night of the Year,” and “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.”

3. Pentatonix

Now I know Pentatonix is very popular for Christmas time – so I wouldn’t say they’re too atypical, but I still had to put them on this list. If you have not listened to any of their Christmas music (they have quite a lot), you need to ASAP. They put a creative spin on each and every song they do – and it’s all acapella! Not only is it impressive, but it’s beautiful and fun to listen to. My Christmas favorites of theirs are – “O Come All Ye Faithful,” “That’s Christmas to Me,” Hallelujah,” and “Mary Did You Know.” They are all truly amazing, so it was hard to narrow down my favorites!

4. The Sweeplings

This folk-pop duo is perfect for an upbeat, unique Christmas soundtrack this holiday. From their perfect harmonies to their uplifting instrumentals, you will not be disappointed. My favorites are – “Winter Land,” “Snow May be Falling,” “O Holy Night,” “Winter’s Call,” and their spunky “Carol of the Bells.” They don’t have many Christmas songs, but there are more to enjoy that are all wonderful.

5. Penny and Sparrow

Known for their indie, folk sound – Penny and Sparrow’s new Christmas album, “Christmas Songs,” should be on your radar this month. With soothing, yet energetic voices – they’re perfect for the car ride home or a relaxing night in. My favorites of their album are – “Merry Christmas / Auld Lang Syne,” “Silent Night,” and “Away in a Manger.” They do the classic Christmas songs justice.

6. JohnnySwim

If you haven’t heard this talented couple and their Christmas album, “A Johnnyswim Christmas” – you should get on Spotify right away. With their upbeat acoustic sound and beautiful voices that complement each other, you can’t help but sing along and secretly hope that your future spouse can sing like that. The best of their Holidays songs are – “O Come All Ye Faithful,” “What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve,” and “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.”

Hopefully, now you can switch up your tunes AND find new artists that you grow to love! There are several out there, and if this list is overwhelming – I suggest starting off with the album, “Holidays Rule” – which includes various artists and their different takes on Christmas songs.

We are the SMU Team.