5 Things a Chronically Sleepy Girl Can Relate To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

As someone who suffers with a form of Narcolepsy, I know the struggle of always being sleepy. I wake up tired, and I stay tired. Here are five of my daily struggles that any sleepy girl can relate to:

1. Choosing to hit the snooze button over doing your hair and makeup

Having those extra five, ten, or (if you’re me) 15 minutes of extra sleep in the morning is so worth looking like a bum for class. Plus, if you see me looking homeless every day for class, my weekend appearances will be extra impressive.

2. Falling asleep when you said you’d go out

Sending that, “Whoops! Fell asleep getting ready… you guys go ahead without me!” Text to your friends after you promised you’d go out with them. Eventually they just make you get ready with them so you can’t fall asleep.

3. Falling asleep in classes, then falling asleep studying for the classes you fell asleep in.

No matter how hard you try, how much coffee you drink, or how truly interesting that lecture on ancient something or other is, you just cannot keep your eyes open. Then when you try to catch up, you wake up two hours later with your head on your notes and an unfinished, room-temperature coffee.

4. Napping wherever and whenever you can

Whether you have enough time to make it to your bed, or you choose to settle for the chair in the lobby of the building your next class is in, naps are your happy place. You get over being high-key judged by high school seniors and their parents who’s tour guide conveniently stops right in front of the bench you fell asleep on because apparently, it’s “historical.”

5. Always being able to sleep on planes and car rides

This is one benefit you have. You can fall asleep for every long flight and road trip. Layovers aren’t bad either as long as you set an alarm! 

Gabby is a sophomore at SMU majoring in Creative Advertising and Fashion Media and minoring in Graphic Design. She is a member of Tri Delta, and she loves traveling, puppies, and all things art. You can follow her on Instagram @gabrielle_grubb
We are the SMU Team.