3 Tips for Staying Organized this Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

As we delve deeper into the fall semester, commitments can become overbearing. From extracurriculars, volunteer organizations, Greek life and school assignments, the struggle to find balance seems nearly impossible. Luckily, after years of testing different organizational methods, I have found a foolproof way to stay on top of things this semester. The following is a system designed to help you get everything done like a #GirlBoss:

Photo by Plum Poppy Studio

1. Plan ahead

This may seem extremely obvious, but it’s seldom followed. To stay ahead, consistently use a planner- whether it’s on your phone, laptop or physical calendar, color coordinate, highlight and write in deadlines, upcoming appointments and homework assignments so you won’t forget. This will be meticulous and possibly annoying at first, but creating a habit and designating colors will help your brain recognize the task subconsciously, recognize its importance and allow you to prioritize accordingly.

2. Make a to-do list

Right as you wake up and grab your phone to scroll through Instagram and Snapchat, leave some sticky notes and a pen nearby. While you slowly wake up and gather your thoughts, jot down things you need to accomplish that day– it’ll give you a clear outline of what to do and it’s super satisfying to cross things off once completed.

3. Schedule “me” time

We’re constantly trying to juggle a school, work and social life, and to be frank, it can be exhausting. To minimize the mental breakdowns, stress-induced freakouts or all-nighters, be sure to schedule in “me” time, where you can have moments to rest and be selfish– in a good way. Book a nail appointment, take a nap or have time away from your phone and computer to give yourself a break and re-charge you for whatever’s next.

Olivia is a Contributing Writer for Her Campus and a junior at Southern Methodist University. Her intended major is Journalism with a minor in Business Management. At SMU, she is the Managing Editor for SMU Campus Weekly and an associate for the Best Buddies program. In her free time, Olivia can be found eating sushi, cuddling her dog Arlow or working out. Be sure to follow her on Snapchat @livnguyen.
We are the SMU Team.