you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

3 Podcasts That Are Good for the Soul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

In a world filled with new music, new movies, and new ways to distract one’s self – it is almost too easy to get wrapped up in the busy routine of life. Of course, there are ways to escape that chaos, through music, hobbies, or friends – but there’s a new resource I have turned to that is a game-changer: podcasts.

If you’re lost and confused, or in need of a good laugh – there are amazing podcasts that are available whenever you need them, and whenever you have a phone and headphones handy. While friends do not always have the right things to say, podcasts are guaranteed to make you laugh or make you think – whatever you need.

They vary in topics and material; you can listen to just about anything and everything. So where to begin? Here are my personal favorites:

The LadyGang

Hosted by three Hollywood girls – Becca Tobin, Jac Vanek, and Keltie Knight, The LadyGang provides good laughs and the latest gossip with their sassy and sarcastic attitudes. With entertaining segments like “Good week, Bad week” – which explores the funny high and lows of that week, or the notable personalities that join them each episode – there is no doubt you’ll be entertained with this peek into Hollywood life. While each host has their own slice of fame, this podcast is exactly how I would imagine a Saturday brunch with my best friends.

Dear Sugar

Hosted by Cheryl Strayed- known for her best-selling memoir Wild– and Steve Almond, the podcast Dear Sugar offers heartfelt talks and provides solutions to all of your problems, no matter how dark or problematic. Strayed and Almond look deep into the laws of psychology and give listeners all of their empathy and their best advice. It is the perfect podcast for when you are knee-deep in drama, feeling lonely, or feeling heartsick.

Modern Love

Originating from the pages of New York Times, the podcast Modern Love can now be delivered straight to your heart from your headphones. Each weekly episode features a heartfelt Modern Love essay, which explores the modern highs and lows of different intimate relationships by host Meghna Chakrabarti, New York Times Modern Love editor Daniel Jones and the essay writers themselves. Whatever might be causing your hurting heart or worries about the ticking love clock, this podcast will relate to you on a personal level or will reassure you that it could be worse. Every relationship is different and has its own problems, and this podcast adds clarity to the world of casual and online dating.

There are too many amazing podcasts out there to list, but these are three of my favorites. They are especially a good place to start if you are not an avid podcast listener (yet). It was just this summer that I started to get into podcasts, and I have not stopped since! You can listen to them absolutely anywhere – and there is a podcast for just about anything.

SaveSave

We are the SMU Team.