3 Healthy Christmas Appetizers to Make This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Being healthy during the holidays is not an easy feat, but these three Christmas appetizers will help get you started. Plus with finals almost over you’ll soon be home with your own kitchen to make all of these delecious treats!

1. Christmas Wreath Salad with Citrus-Champagne Vinaigrette

Ingredients:

• Greens (get your favorite bagged, mixed greens)
  • Pistachios
  • Pomegranates
  • Crumbled Goat Cheese
  • An orange
  • Champagne Vinaigrette Dressing

Instructions:

It’s so simple. All you have to do it shell your pistachios, supreme the orange, and toss all your ingredients together. 

2. Baked Pears with Gorgonzola and Honey

Ingredients:

• 3 ripe but not too soft pears, e.g. Concorde or Green Anjou
  • 1 tablespoon liquid honey (+more for serving later)
  • 4 springs of thyme
  • 6 teaspoons soft blue cheese i.e. gorgonzola
  • 6 halves walnuts, to garnish

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to  390 °F. Cut pears in halves and scoop the seeds out. Put the pear halves open-faced on a cookie sheet or baking dish and drizzle them with honey. Place thyme on top. Bake for 10 minutes (make sure the pears’ skin is soft enough to be pierced with a fork). Let them cool.

2. Place a teaspoon of blue cheese into the center of the pear halves. Drizzle the walnuts with honey after garnishing them and place on the pear halves. Serve warm or cold. 

3. Peta Trees

Ingredients:

• 2 pita folds or pita (pocket) breads 
  • 8 thin pretzel sticks, halved
  • 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
  • 1/4 cup guacamole
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic-pepper blend
  • 1/8 cup finely chopped red bell pepper

Instructions: 

1. Cut each pita fold into 4 wedges. Insert the pretzel-stick into the center of bottom of each triangular pita wedge to form the trunk.

2. Mix sour cream, guacamole, parsley and garlic-pepper blend. Spread this mixture on each wedge.

3. Sprinkle the bell pepper on each pita wedge or get creative and arrange them to form a garland.

4. Cover and refrigerate for 6-8 hours before serving.

SaveSave

Gabby is a sophomore at SMU majoring in Creative Advertising and Fashion Media and minoring in Graphic Design. She is a member of Tri Delta, and she loves traveling, puppies, and all things art. You can follow her on Instagram @gabrielle_grubb
We are the SMU Team.