This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

For as long as I can remember, I have struggled mentally during the winter months. Every November would come around and I would just start feeling off, wanting to sleep more and avoid all responsibilities until the sun came back out in April.

When I was in high school, during a yearly checkup exam, my doctor mentioned to me Seasonal Affective Disorder, otherwise known as SAD. I had never heard of it and when I told my parents about it, they too didn’t realize it was even a thing.

From my diagnosis, came a multitude of coping mechanisms to help make the winter months more bearable. My doctor recommended many strategies to help combat my SAD, but these were the ones I found most effective.

1. Vitamin D supplements: Ever since my SAD diagnosis, I take a vitamin D supplement especially during the winter because the lack of sun truly takes a toll on me.

1. A Happy Lamp: This lamp is specially made to mimic the sun’s rays and actually has the same effects of the sun.

1. Exercise: As difficult as it is to leave the house during the winter, I find getting some exercise is truly beneficial to my overall well being. Even when I don’t want to go, I always leave the gym feeling much better than the way I came in.

1. Therapy: For the last five years, I have spent much time in the office of my therapist and I have found this the most effective treatment for my SAD. Being able to talk to a non judgemental figure as a means to better understand my behavior and feelings can be beneficial for anyone, struggling with SAD or not.

I am lucky to have gotten help when I was younger and to be able to say that my SAD is relatively in control. If you or someone you know is struggling with Seasonal Affective Disorder, know that there are ways in which you can get help.

Bergeron Wellness Center: (802) 654-2234

National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

SAMHSA: 1-800-662-4357

Hey, I'm Jess Costa and I am a Junior Psychology major and a Global Studies minor at SMCVT. My interests in journalism include self-care, mental health, music, fashion, food, and fitness. Follow me on Instagram @jessicacosta007
CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.